• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4F powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this argument going to start up again? How about trading your 4f to someone who wants it for something you want?

No need. It works well for blasting out stumps. About all it's good for.

I'm going to work up a 4f load for my .32 Cherokee. It works great for getting a dry ball out of the barrel too. It works so well, I take aim when I fire the clearing shot.

After the last Forum go round on 4F thought I’d take some measurements of a few of the powders I had on the shelf just for the heck of it. Numbers are from 30 piece samples. Not much difference size wise between old DuPont 4F and current Swiss 3F. Might explain why Swiss is known to be peppier than Goex. Believe the DuPont powder is from the 1960s.
1595783101082.png

Here's the skinny - as I posted on another forum recently that had posters who were similarly flummoxed by the DIFFERENCE between Swiss powder grading, and Anglo-American powder grading.

This table shows the Swiss powder grades -

SHOOTING POWDER
Type
Corns
Granulation
Main Use
per gram​
(mm)​
N°1 (4 Fg)​
10 000 - 15 000​
0,250 - 0,500​
Smaller calibre percussion pistols & percussion revolvers
N°2 (3 Fg)​
3 000 - 5 000​
0,500 - 0,800​
Flintlock pistols, percussion pistols, revolvers & shotguns​
N° 3 (2 Fg)​
1 000 - 2 000​
0,650 - 1,200​
Medium calibre rifles, larger calibre shotguns & small cannon​
N°4 (1 1/2 Fg)​
700 - 900​
0,850 - 1,200​
Larger calibre muskets, percussion rifles​
N°5 (1 Fg)​
430 - 480​
1,200 - 1,600​
Larger calibre shotguns and wild fowling​

As you can clearly see - I hope - the Swiss grades go UP - the higher the number, the LARGER the grain size.

Anglo-American grades go DOWN - the higher the number, the SMALLER the grain size.

Quite why the Swiss and other European BP manufacturers use an ascending scale, is obvious.

They actually measure the physical size of the grain of powder and ascribe a value to it.

We Anglo-Americans measure the size of the MESH through which it passes.

I cant believe the moderators havent put an end to this thread considering there was already 27 pages covering this debate.

I cant believe the moderators havent put an end to this thread considering there was already 27 pages covering this debate.

I have never understood this line of thought when it comes to discussion forums.

If you don't want to hear about it, simply don't read it.

Why is it you feel compelled that others who wish to discuss things you don't want to hear, be stifled in their conversation?

all this means is that DARWINS THEORY OF SELECTION STILL RULLES.

Still waiting for any evidence using 4F as a main load has ever caused any harm to anyone or even any minor damage to a black powder firearm.

🦗🦗🦗🦗

Still waiting for any evidence using 4F as a main load has ever caused any harm to anyone or even any minor damage to a black powder firearm.

🦗🦗🦗🦗

Why? Would you stop using 4F as a main charge is someone showed you or do you just like whine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back