• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Personal introduction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrownBear said:
Congrats on the score! Makes my mouth water for mule deer chili.

NOW you done it! Got me thinking of Venison Meatloaf made with 1/3 Ground Elk or Mule Deer or Whitetail Meat, 1/3 Ground Sausage (to make up for the fact Venison is so lean) and 1/3 Ground Chuck (so those who "don't like" game meat don't know they are eating it). :haha:

Gus

My name is Luis, and I've been reading around this board for a little while now. After some nudging from forum friends at a different site, I figure it's time to introduce myself. I'm a 41-year old active duty Air Force member, stationed stateside in Nebraska, but overseas at this very moment. I'm in my 16th year of service, currently a Lieutenant Colonel and have enjoyed my time immensely.

While I feel confident in my abilities these days, I'm under no delusions that I have still have plenty to learn, hence my presence here. I got into black powder firearms more seriously not too terribly long ago. I owned a lefty .54 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle/flintlock for quite a few years without really giving it much field use until a friend invited me to his Tennessee farm for their muzzleloader season. I scored a deer with it while there and that got things going.

I have since parted with the Lyman, selling it for dirt cheap to a fellow lefty and friend who wanted to get into the game. You'll be happy to know that it was replaced several times over with the likes of the following, currently in my collection:

- .36 cal Tip Curtis Virginia rifle

- .50 cal TVM Early Lancaster

- 20 GA/.62 cal TVM Fowler

In a relatively short time, those guns have managed to make some meat on everything from deer, to turkey, to bear and bobcat. Just this past season I had a goal to take game with the fowler using both birdshot and ball, and got it done on a Nebraska Spring gobbler and a Ontario, Canada black bear. A couple of pics from those hunts:

HJKO47.jpg

aQUZbQ.jpg

A few videos clips:

PA Fall Turkey hunt with Tip Curtis .36 cal longrifle:

[youtube]

Footage from the Nebraska Spring turkey hunt:

[youtube]

Canada bear hunt:

[youtube]

So, please pardon my lengthy introduction, but know that I am happy to be here and look forward to learning from the resident posters on here who have been at it for way longer than me. Thanks for reading!

You are doing well, Colonel. I think that, before you retire, we will be addressing you as General.

Hi there Luis. Retired Army here (1995-2015) and also newish to muzzleloading. I’ve kinda tipped to the point that anything modern is now boring to me and I file it under “tool”. Seems you’re enjoying your new sickness just as much as I’ve been haha.

Hi, Retired Army Reserve here. It was two years active and the rest in the reserves (1968 to 1994). i have been using muzzle loaders since the early 1960s. It has gone from cap and ball revolvers, flint/percussion rifles/muskets and shotguns/fowlers. In these later years there has been a passion for muzzle loading trap, especially at the Friendship, Ind., nationals. Anymore I am not the best one on the trap range, but I'm out there. The hobby has led to looking for a fine British or Belgian original percussion double shotgun. That has been accomplished. In earlier years hunting with a Belgian original percussion double was rewarding. Original percussion shotguns are interesting. It is difficult to find any two a like, unless made in a pair. Muzzle loading is a fun and challenging hobby.

Welcome Luis and thank you for your service. Enjoyed the pictures and reading your story. Looks to me like you are doing real well hunting with those muzzleloaders.

Percy

Welcome Col. former Marine here 8 years 74-81 where in Ontario did you hunt the bear, I have hunted northern Ontario in the past and Mr. bear now graces my wall.

Back