• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC maxi hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was shopping around online for some maxi hunters in 275 grains and just can't believe how expensive they are now. Over 20 bucks for a box.
I always liked them but maybe just stick with the round ball.

You can get them unlubed from TOTW for half that, if my memory serves me correctly. Buy the lube from them for about $5 & you are good to go.

Might be....what I really miss are the Hornady Great Plains Bullets. I have a box in .54, bought on a whim 25 years ago, but Hornady dropped all calibers but .50 in that bullet.

Got well over a dozen boxes of the 54 caliber Great Plains Bullets I picked up at Walmart over a few years during their post hunting season sales. Last I checked lube was dry and flaking off. Will hang on to them as you never know. Might be something for an estate sale one day......

That was a good buying habit sir! I remember a hunting friend tell me "why did you buy .54? You'll never use those." I didn't have a .54 then but I do now. :)

I bought a maxi ball mold long ago. I dont shoot them anymore but my grandson does. Whenever he needs some he just lets me know, and I pour him some. It was worth the cost of the mold. I can probably pour 20 rounds for less than $5.00

I bought out Wal-Mart of their . Hornady .54 cal roundballs one year after hunting season. They had them marked down to like $3.50 a box of 100. I think I bought like 8 boxes. It was all they had. I still have probably 600 of them left as I've been making my own for years. Hoping one if the grand kids buys a .54 then I'll give them to them as Xmas gifts.

Back