• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is considered a good collection of BP revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "good" collection is generally built around a theme rather than a hodgepodge. Possible themes could be Colts, Confederate guns, guns from say prior to 1860, .36 caliber guns, guns issued to calvary units, or some other distinguishing feature. Of course if your pockets are deep and/or you have time on your side, there are only so many BP replica revolvers out there & one could aspire to have one of each! Personally, I choose to stick with replicas of actual period guns (no brass frame .44 "1851 navies") but doubt that I will ever have"them all". How many guns does it take to be a "collection" anyway?

Yes, stay away from collecting 1851 44 caliber Navies. The Navy was recognized as a 36 caliber firearm. The 44s were an Army caliber.
That is good advice only if the person wants to have only Historically accurate pistols. If the person want's a gun just to shoot and doesn't care whether the gun actually existed, a .44 caliber 1851 Colt is a neat gun to have. It has the weight and balance of the .36 caliber 1851 and it fires with the satisfying "BOOM" of a .44 rather than the "POP" of a .36.

Not sure what a ‘bad’ collection would look like, if a bad one is even possible. So any group of two or more BP revolvers would be a good collection in my opinion. Why are you collecting BP revolvers? To shoot? Hang on a wall? Are you thinking about originals, or limiting yourself to replicas?

Buy what you like when it’s available. It’s your collection.
I will be shooting. Unless it's etched on every inch or 150 years old, I shoot. Thanks.

Not sure what a ‘bad’ collection would look like, if a bad one is even possible. So any group of two or more BP revolvers would be a good collection in my opinion. Why are you collecting BP revolvers? To shoot? Hang on a wall? Are you thinking about originals, or limiting yourself to replicas?

Buy what you like when it’s available. It’s your collection.
I am more interested in different shooting looks, feel, action.... not something to hand on the wall. I want to have a collection of shooting revolvers taking two or three to the range.

October Country bought Doc. James Davis's Collection of black powder revolvers from Claremore, OK. All revolvers are unfired with box. Doctor James had an extensive collection of reproduction revolvers (Pietta, Uberti, A. Sam Marco, Witloe etc.)

I agree with others, no collection is complete without one of these;

mc6vh1mh.jpg

m8122dch.jpg

You're politically correct in my house, my g granddaddy fought for Arkansas in the Cavalry and had no slaves and lived out the war.

That calls for a new thread concerning your ancestors. I am not sure if this the correct place to do it but I would love to hear the history. My ancestors came over from Germany in the 1880's so I have no historical connection to the ACW.

Regards,

Jim

Sourdough, you have the same background as I do!

Here are photos of most of my accumulation. Most are reproductions. I bought whatever grabbed my attention over the past 8 years, no Walker or Dragoon though.

100_6209.JPG
100_6219.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking of going to the ends of choices: Walker and a .31 pocket. Just got to be judicious in selecting and budgeting.

Those are really the opposite ends of choices. The Walker weighs 4 lbs. 9 oz. and the Pocket will get lost in your hand as it is so small. If you want a "big" gun I would suggest the Dragoon at 4 lbs. 2 oz. Much more manageable than the Walker, shorter cylinder (40 Gr BP) and 7.5" barrel. A compromise between the Walker and the run of the mill 3rd Model Dragoon is the Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon: same grip frame/trigger guard assembly as the Walker with all of the traits of the Dragoon. It does have the oval stop slots on the cylinder the same as the Walker. I bought mine last year and here is a comparison concerning the Colt 1860 Army and the Colt 1851 Navy for size:

Regards,

Jim

That is good advice only if the person wants to have only Historically accurate pistols. If the person want's a gun just to shoot and doesn't care whether the gun actually existed, a .44 caliber 1851 Colt is a neat gun to have. It has the weight and balance of the .36 caliber 1851 and it fires with the satisfying "BOOM" of a .44 rather than the "POP" of a .36.
Brother Tiny's favorite C&B was a 51 Colt Navy steel frame in .44 because it fit his smaller hand better. With larger hands my favorite Colt is the 1860 Army with the longer grip in .44 cal., although fortune has placed me in older age with 1851 and 1858 .44s. in brass frames which I'll never wear out in this mortal probation. Love them all.

Based on your comments, I'd definitely add a Colt Paterson to your collection. It's be fun to own and shoot a replica of the original.

I have a 1858 remington and 1951 navy colt (both Pieta) and would like to get a good collection of BP revolvers. Should I go for a pocket or a walker or some other to make a good selection of revolvers. Maybe a snub-nose?
If you want a snub nose and want to stay early revolver, try an Ethan Allen pepper box. Double action 36 caliber.

I dont have anywhere near a full collection or assortment of cap and ball revolvers. If I did in order or prference:

1. I had a Walker and let it go. I currently have a 3rd model Dragoon. The Dragoon is a much better gun, the Walker has a tad more wow factor. The Dragoon is a great gun regardless of its antique classification.

2a, 2b. I do not have an 1858 Remington but I do have the Ruger Old Army in stainless. I think you should have both of these. I plan to have both.

3. I had a 36 navy and it was ok and fun for a lighter gun, but; it became to loose and beyond repair. That was my abuse and the gun was of poor quality. The 36 is an anemic caliber. If I were to replace it, I would like to try an 1860, which is a more attractive and more practical 44. I dont like the brass anything. Even a steel frame,open top can shoot loose. And I shot mine. That was at that time in my life when I was not old enough to buy a modern handgun, so these say a lot more use than most would today. Bottom line, IMHO, the 1860 is best in class, like the Dragoon.

4. I like to try the Lemat for cool points even though all reports on the reproductions indicate some issues. If I already had one, my opinion might be different.

That is it, 2 open top colts, 2 Remington style and Lemat just for cool.

If I had those 5, I would be a happy camper and look to expand into modern handguns or more diverse older repro handguns, like a Wheellock (my kit on order) or a flintlock or a caplock Pedersoli Howdah. The 20ga Howdah is way cool and serious power if you can deal with it.

Back