• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Puntguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess that the 'few seconds' is just a simple hyperbole for a short delay between a flint lock and a percussion lock rather than a special delay mechanism. A genuine 'few seconds' would see the wild fowl far out of range and way above the pattern.

I would guess that the 'few seconds' is just a simple hyperbole for a short delay between a flint lock and a percussion lock rather than a special delay mechanism. A genuine 'few seconds' would see the wild fowl far out of range and way above the pattern.
If your flint lock takes more than a few hundredths of a second longer than a percussion, there is something seriously wrong with your flintlock.

I have seen an older heavy barrel target gun (at Dixon's) with a flint lock on one side and a percussion lock on the other, but it was a single barrel and intended to be fired as flint in flint bench matches and fired as percussion in percussion bench matches. Never saw such an arrangement on other guns.

My long rifles and fowler are just as fast as a percussion gun never had a delay as discussed. Have your locks tuned and your flints knapped properly and no delay.

There is a big difference in the hammer throw between a small rifle flintlock with a roller frizzen and a 10 to 12inch punt gun flintlock with 3.1/2 inch plus cock with a no roller frizzen and no stirrup on the pan . Has for powder 3.or4 ffg in the pan and loaded with coarse punt gun powder that is why a flintlock punt gun barrel is slower than the percussion .Has for ignition from a flintlock rifle or shotgun is just has fast has percussion but there is no comparison between a rifle flintlock and a punt gun flintlock with a large 10 inch lock , I know what I am talking about
Feltwad

To all:

I think we're getting too far off of the main subject of this thread.
The thread is not about which form of lock is faster. Rather, it is about punt guns and their use so, I suggest that we get back to talking about punt guns.

To all:

I think we're getting too far off of the main subject of this thread.
The thread is not about which form of lock is faster. Rather, it is about punt guns and their use so, I suggest that we get back to talking about punt guns.
Yes I agree it started with one member asking a simple question on how too find some company that could make him a punt gun barrel or the blue prints, although he never answered my PM and what has involved in his thread has made him leave I would say in discussed has it has strayed from the original
This seems too happen many times in different articles some questions are to the point but some are not
Feltwad

Zonie- Does that include the self contained paper cased we make for our M/L's and C/B/L's ?? OLD DOG..
No. If your paper cartridges do not contain a percussion cap or primer and in order to fire the gun you have to place a percussion cap on the nipple or, prime the pan if the gun is a flintlock, you can talk about them all day long on the forum.

Modern cartridges and shells that are self contained, with a primer in them, are the ones we can't discuss on the forum.

There is a big difference in the hammer throw between a small rifle flintlock with a roller frizzen and a 10 to 12inch punt gun flintlock with 3.1/2 inch plus cock with a no roller frizzen and no stirrup on the pan . Has for powder 3.or4 ffg in the pan and loaded with coarse punt gun powder that is why a flintlock punt gun barrel is slower than the percussion .Has for ignition from a flintlock rifle or shotgun is just has fast has percussion but there is no comparison between a rifle flintlock and a punt gun flintlock with a large 10 inch lock , I know what I am talking about
Feltwad
The old time American gunfighters used to say the single-action Colt's Peacemaker was so slow that they didn't get serious about aiming until they pulled the trigger, LOL!

Punt guns were also used by market hunters in the Delaware Bay. They were not conservationists.

The sale of game for human consumption distorted and warped the relationship between hunter and prey. It decimated animal and fish populations. At one time, for example, it was said you could walk across the Delaware Bay on the backs of sturgeon. When markets realized that their eggs were caviar like the eggs of Russian sturgeon? The Delaware Bay sturgeon population plummeted. Freight card loads of caviar were shipped from Bridgeton NJ to New York. Whether there is a viable sturgeon population in Delaware Bay these many decades later is very doubtful.

I am interested in all antique guns. I'd like a punt gun as a reminder of how careless and stupid we can be.

Punt guns were also used by market hunters in the Delaware Bay. They were not conservationists.

The sale of game for human consumption distorted and warped the relationship between hunter and prey. It decimated animal and fish populations. At one time, for example, it was said you could walk across the Delaware Bay on the backs of sturgeon. When markets realized that their eggs were caviar like the eggs of Russian sturgeon? The Delaware Bay sturgeon population plummeted. Freight card loads of caviar were shipped from Bridgeton NJ to New York. Whether there is a viable sturgeon population in Delaware Bay these many decades later is very doubtful.

I am interested in all antique guns. I'd like a punt gun as a reminder of how careless and stupid we can be.
What has been said in this thread about punt gunning of which most was a load of rubbish when the thread was for information on a punt gun barrel and punt gun drawings . Most of the rubbish was said by people who had never seen a true punt gun or had never used one . The punt gun was a tool of the trade from which people made a living and only lasts three months of the year.
Feltwd

The Flint gun only had a slight delay but relied on the recoil of the Detonator to elevate the gun. The Old Col. explains this in his "Instructions to young sportsmen". I have for disposal (on behalf of an old friend) a Leather Bound, Gold Blocked Late copy. PM me if any one is interested. OLD DOG..

A good way to delay ignition on a flint is to use pyrodex lol. As for hunting guns, double barrels, and charges no larger than 12 may I offer this . . .
12227031_10153614224315351_5399045928454872357_n.jpg

Here’s a 8 bore that I made last year . It’s a Williams smooth bore 38in barrel. English lock and walnut stock .

Attachments

• 925585A7-720F-49DA-929B-FA359FB3D5A4.jpeg
    925585A7-720F-49DA-929B-FA359FB3D5A4.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 104
Here’s a 8 bore that I made last year . It’s a Williams smooth bore 38in barrel. English lock and walnut stock .
Looks ok but not a punt gun but from what I have read a 10 bore is the largest you can use . Goose guns known has wildfowl guns came in bore sizes such has 4,6,7,8 with the smallest 10 bore known has a duck gun There was a bank gun which was the largest shoulder gun and it was a 2 bore , some were also used has punt gun but a true punt gun was 1.1/4 plus bore size.
Enjoy your 8bore if only at clays using a light load which it should dust clays a 50 to 60 yards .
Feltwad

Here in UK, where things are, as you know, a mite difficult where guns are concerned, we can have punt guns up to two inches bore.

Back