• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what is your favorite rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work you and wife most of your life make a good home for your selves, raise a family and retire comfortable. Why not harvest the rewards now and then.

My new Traditions Tennessee rifle. Bought and paid for with some of my stimulus money.
20200430_163607.jpg

A favorite gun. What I'm working with/on, is usually what I'd call my favorite. I have so many favorites cannot choose just one. Spending time with a very nice old original picket/slug rifle the last few weeks. Some rifles just have that extra something and this one has that. I like rifles of all sorts. Pistols and shotguns are trading fodder.

My hands down favorite for the last fifteen years or so is my Jack Hubbard, 50cal. I’ve always been partial to basic, un-adorned, early colonial styling, Jack’s forte’. The icing on the cake is it’s perfect weight, balance, and fit for me, delivering exceptional accuracy whether from a rest or off-hand. It’s the perfect hunting companion.
398DC5CC-F0A3-4D28-8BE8-A0354F592E8F.jpeg2222BD90-76FE-4ED1-85B6-91F08A732EE3.jpeg45EE0274-752A-4A49-964F-373B717CDE1F.jpeg

I’ve slimmed the herd down drastically in recent days. Kept only two in fact. One is my Isaac Haines late Lancaster .50 flint which I’ve recently converted to percussion. Did this in a way that allows the change back should I wish to continue my flinching ever again. Pictures of this rifle in both configurations are attached.
The second is a TC Renegade .54 cap that has been restocked and new iron hardware installed. Did it myself so nothing is square nor centered, but darn she shoots!! I suspect these two fine rifles will stay with me till the end. Will try and get a picture of this rifle tomorrow.
Walk
I always liked the look of a conversion gun. Old architecture and new mechanisms is a nice reminder we weren’t always a throwaway culture.

View attachment 37588
Fun thread.
From top to bottom:
My favorite 6:
Original (1842 Harpers Ferry)
Deer Rifle (Allen Martin .58 Newcomer Schimmel)
20 bore (Jack Brooks Type G)
Made from a Kit (Kibler SMR .45)
Squirrel Gun (Jack Duprey Soddy .36)
Varmint (Jack Duprey Upper East Tennessee .40)

If I had to choose my favorite of my favorites it would be the Soddy Daisy but if I could only own one it would be the 20 bore.
So ....... do you adopt?

I believe I read you could tell how rich a pilgrim is by the fancy weapon he carries. Looks like a lot of rich dudes around here.

Sarcasm fellars, sometimes I am good at that. however, in the late 18th century a new man came to town, special attention was allocated to his rifle, not his horse, not his hair do, or his clothes. If the rifle looked like some of these rifles he was considered wealthy., And I can see why. craftsmanship is a beauty to behold.

Sarcasm fellars, sometimes I am good at that. however, in the late 18th century a new man came to town, special attention was allocated to his rifle, not his horse, not his hair do, or his clothes. If the rifle looked like some of these rifles he was considered wealthy., And I can see why. craftsmanship is a beauty to behold.

...and it come across as good natured ribbing. Except for the ‘pilgrim’ part. Thems near fighting words. ;)

No pic yet but my favorite is a CVA hawkinish .50 I got off a auction site, 90 yds 1-2 inches each time out so far. Currently has an issue I may have to send to a more competent man than I, suddenly (during a hunt of course) developed a 40lb trigger pull. Not sure if its the trigger or lock. That one stays.

Latest posts

Back