• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long without cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't have to list the lanolin on the SDS.
So what you have listed are thinners, propellants (for the aerosol) and a rust preventative corrosion inhibitor.

Attachments

• 1595378260842.png
    1595378260842.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 71
Yeah, that doesn't sound too good. However, my Lakota friend uses it for everything. He's 72 and has a full head of hair. He says bear oil on the scalp grows hair. I can't argue with his results.
Lived with natives my entire adult life. Pretty sure the gene for losing hair doesn’t exist with them. However, I’ve heard of many different Ailments cured with bear grease. Mostly skin conditions.
Walk

They don't have to list the lanolin on the SDS.
So what you have listed are thinners, propellants (for the aerosol) and a rust preventative corrosion inhibitor.
Here is their info on the non-aerosol version. No propellants. Just petroleum. Must be missing something, or why would they even state this if it wasn’t in their product. Not arguing, just reading. Always understood SDS or its predecessor, MSDS wasn’t required for non hazardous material, but didn’t mean non hazardous material could be excluded from the form. Might be wrong, but that is what I remember from OSHA training, though it has been a while.
1595379596020.jpeg

Here is their info on the non-aerosol version. No propellants. Just petroleum. Must be missing something, or why would they even state this if it wasn’t in their product. Not arguing, just reading. Always understood SDS or its predecessor, MSDS wasn’t required for non hazardous material, but didn’t mean non hazardous material could be excluded from the form. Might be wrong, but that is what I remember from OSHA training, though it has been a while.
View attachment 37522

Why don't you send Fluid Film an email and see what they say ?

Yeah, that doesn't sound too good. However, my Lakota friend uses it for everything. He's 72 and has a full head of hair. He says bear oil on the scalp grows hair. I can't argue with his results.
I don’t think Indians have the baldness gene. I can’t remember ever seeing a bald Indian who didn’t shave his head.
B’ar oil might be good for your skin but I don’t think full head of hair counts

Why don't you send Fluid Film an email and see what they say ?
Don’t use the stuff. Just find it interesting that some will tout the wonderful qualities of a product because they are non petroleum, yet ignore the product’s manufacturer’s actual data sheet seeming to indicate the product is primarily a petroleum product???? Not arguing, just presenting information. If I’m incorrect in my interpretation of information, please correct me with actual data or a document. Unless the SDS documents are just fluff and what really matters is the marketing brochures and internet banter? I have no issue with petroleum products use in muzzleloaders if they work without issue. Just don’t care for being told that the liquid running down my leg is rain, not piss. Too much to ask?

I use bear tallow and bear oil. Never have any rust and I don't have any manure I need to clean from the bore to shoot it again after storage. Patches stay soft in cold weather and the lock and trigger never gum up.

It works. PC or not.
where do you get your bear oil and tallow? ( I suppose the answer is I get it from the from the bear, in which case I am envious)

Being firmly positioned on the anal side of the aisle, anytime I fire a gun (even if just once) I clean it that evening. If the gun is taken into the bush but NOT fired then it stays loaded until it gets the opportunity to "speak". I use plain water and sometimes a drop of Dawn. For rust protection I use Barricade. Barricade isn't an "oil", per se, as it dries in the bore and doesn't need to be wiped out prior to firing. But I usually run a dry swab down the bore anyway. I've used oils in the bore from 3 in 1 oil to various gun oils in the past with excellent results, but Barricade isn't as messy. BreakFree CLP seems to work about as well in my experience.

Some 55 years ago I received, along with a rifle, two cans with "BP" bore cleaner. The cans were very old and almost surely contained bore cleaner from WWII surplus once used in cleaning Garands, but it worked great, nevertheless. I may still have a partial can around somewhere. The iron barrels in use long ago didn't rust near as readily as the steel barrels used today. This is one reason our ancestors could relax a bit and know their guns wouldn't rust up before the break of dawn.

I’m new. Didn’t realize that much cleaning was required. However yesterday I did some sighting in in my back yard and after just a few shots has a misfire. Discovered the nipple was plugged up. Ran a wire in it and it shot fine

Latest posts

Back