• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Barrel _ Indo Persian ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joespot

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have run across a very long barrel and i have no idea what type it may be. Any help on this topic or identifying this barrel type would be appreciated.

Jay
image10.jpeg
image9.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Hi Joespot

I'm confident the barrel is from a Moroccan snaphaunce musket. The rear sight design, the deep barrel stamps, and light engraving on top of the barrel are all very similar to other Moroccan barrels you find. The one oval stamp is probably a signature in Moroccan Arabic. These barrels generally run from about 44" to 48" in length. But I've seen them as long as 60" It was probably made sometime in the first half of the 19th Century. These muskets were still made and in use through the 3rd quarter of the 1800's. The barrel tang on this one appears a bit long, which is curious. Do you have a better photo ? Hope this helps.

Rick
DSC00725 (Medium).JPG
DSC00667 (Medium).JPG

Thanks for getting back to me on this one. The info provided is very interesting. More photos below.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 75
  • image3 (1).jpeg
    image3 (1).jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image4 (1).jpeg
    image4 (1).jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image6 (1).jpeg
    image6 (1).jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image5 (1).jpeg
    image5 (1).jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 77
  • image8 (1).jpeg
    image8 (1).jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 81
Good to know. I found it at my cousins house who was a hoarder of sorts. I tried to find any other parts, but was unsuccessful. Any suggestions on what I might do with this thing?

Well, you could have a new steel liner installed in the barrel and find a Moroccan snaphaunce lock, have a custom builder make you a complete combo original/replica musket. LOL But assuming that would not be of interest to you, you can send me a PM if your interested in selling it, assuming it's not bent.

Rick

"assuming it's not bent."

Bobby Hoyt can straighten a barrel too. I showed him a Sharps carbine a friend owns and he said no problem to straighten and line. When you looked through the barrel at a sheet of paper the bore looked like a football.

Hi Hawkeye

That's good to know. I've had Bobby line/burnish a number of barrels for me. I had one Ottoman barrel that was originally bored very slightly off-center. But Bobby was able to fix/compensate for that while installing the new liner.
The guy has to be some form of genius. He must be the only person in the USA that can do this type of work.

Rick

Back