• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 cal smooth rifle ball dia?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ball size for a smooth rifle will depend on the actual bore diameter of the barrel and the desired patch thickness. Actual bore diameter minus one patch thickness. The patch will compress on loading allowing for relatively easy loading without need for a short starter. It that is too tight then reduce the size of the ball.

Just an experiment if you want to shoot a military type paper cartridges you might even try a .457.
I have shot .495 in paper cartridges in my .54 smooth rifle. It could serve as a deer gun to fifty yards. But I wouldn’t want to try beyond thirty five. As at thirty five it shoots as well as a .527 PRB in the same gun at fifty yards.

I have visions of hunting small game with shot also

I'd be using a .490 - .495 ball in a .500 barrel, and would use a very rough file or wood rasp to raise bits of the lead on the ball so that it would be fitted to the barrel when loading. I'd use a wad between the ball and the powder, both for ball and for shot, with tow over the projectile(s) to hold them in place while moving through the woods or fields.

LD

I built a 50 smooth rifle for my son we have had good results with a .480 ball. Started out with 50 gr. 3f ended up with 70 gr. 3f and a medium thickness patch.

Mike

I built a 50 smooth rifle for my son we have had good results with a .480 ball. Started out with 50 gr. 3f ended up with 70 gr. 3f and a medium thickness patch.

Mike

Mike

So how does it shoot?

Latest posts

Back