• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best Muzzleloading Magazines. Which is right for me?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reading broadens the mind, so your brain doesn't get stagnant. it is therapeutic, try it you'll like it.

It didn't do much for your grammar. What a condescending post.

So, I'll have a stagnant brain if I don't read muzzleloader mags? That's funny.

Muzzleloader Magazine is my favorite; however I subscribe to the NRA's American Rifleman. I receive NMLRA's Muzzle Blasts on line.
I am also constantly looking on the magazine shelves for muzzleloading related articles in The Backwoodsman, Wild West, Military History and all the more popular gun and gun collector magazines. If they have a potentially good article, I buy it!

Muzzleloader is a mag. for reading. Muzzle Blasts is the magazine that reports association news and activities, and also muzzleloading information. Being a Life Member I have recieved Muzzle blasts since 1978, and I have subscribed to Muzzleloader for almost as long.

I subscribed to Muzzleloader this morning based on the replies to this thread. Looking forward to getting my first issue. I have several issues of Muzzle Blasts lying around and I don’t *dislike* it, but I see what’s meant about it being for a wide audience.

Muzzleloader Magazine is my favorite; however I subscribe to the NRA's American Rifleman. I receive NMLRA's Muzzle Blasts on line.
I am also constantly looking on the magazine shelves for muzzleloading related articles in The Backwoodsman, Wild West, Military History and all the more popular gun and gun collector magazines. If they have a potentially good article, I buy it!
Me too! I must have a stagnant brain since I don't have a college degree and only a G.E.D. and a college USAFI course in forestry in the Navy. I have had articles published in Backwoodsman magazine and have edited a couple of religious newspapers, and taught teenagers in church and Boy Scouts for years. I did drive a taxicab for six years in a port city. Maybe I should receive an honorary degree in international relations. Eschew Obfuscation. -P.S., Muzzleloader rocks History and DIY Articles. Muzzle Blasts is more fraternal.

Last edited:
While the Backwoodsman does have an occasional article on M/L things, it is a decent magazine and worth while.. I get mine at Tractor Supply.

Don’t know your experience level in relation to flintlock muzzleloading, but it really doesn’t matter in reference to this outstanding book.

Geared to everything you need to know as a beginner and excellent refresher for those who’ve been at it a while?

Pretty much covers everything to include a flint section, trouble shooting section.

Book is well researched and packed with many years of knowledge and experience. Many illustrations and pictures. C1CDB1E2-40B2-4A8A-8F99-36C1BF5B3B13.jpegEvery flintlock shooter should have one.

Excellent read!

Respectfully, Cowboy

While the Backwoodsman does have an occasional article on M/L things, it is a decent magazine and worth while.. I get mine at Tractor Supply.
I subscribe to BW magazine, and appreciate it, but it's a bit on the simpler side; I don't mean that negatively. The publishers seem honest and true, and I like supporting it. I think it reminds many of us older guys of our youth!

Don’t know your experience level in relation to flintlock muzzleloading, but it really doesn’t matter in reference to this outstanding book.

Geared to everything you need to know as a beginner and excellent refresher for those who’ve been at it a while?

Pretty much covers everything to include a flint section, trouble shooting section.

Book is well researched and packed with many years of knowledge and experience. Many illustrations and pictures. View attachment 37370Every flintlock shooter should have one.

Excellent read!

Respectfully, Cowboy
I bought this book! Highly recommend!

One of the complaints about "Muzzleloader Magazine" is that many of the articles are focused on activities east of the Mississippi River and even east of the Appalachian Mountains. Jason is always trying and hoping for more articles of the western plains and focused on percussion rifles. Mike Nesbitt's column is one that does cover percussion rifles quite well. "Muzzleloader Magazine" is just a good magazine. I do subscribe to "Backwoodsman" and I am a member of the NMLRA and get "Muzzle Blasts". There are a couple of quarterly magazines that pop up on the magazine racks.

One of the complaints about "Muzzleloader Magazine" is that many of the articles are focused on activities east of the Mississippi River and even east of the Appalachian Mountains. Jason is always trying and hoping for more articles of the western plains and focused on percussion rifles. Mike Nesbitt's column is one that does cover percussion rifles quite well. "Muzzleloader Magazine" is just a good magazine. I do subscribe to "Backwoodsman" and I am a member of the NMLRA and get "Muzzle Blasts". There are a couple of quarterly magazines that pop up on the magazine racks.
You are certainly correct regarding the Easternish influence in Muzzleloader Magazine. "Backwoodsman" is excellent: a treasure trove.

Currently a subscriber to Muzzleloader and an ex-subscriber of Backwoodsman. Undecided if I will renew my subscription to Muzzleloader as my enjoyment is with the hunting, treking, outdoors aspect of our hobby and not so much all the history. I still buy Backwoodsman a few times a year off the shelf, only if there are articles pertaining to my interests previously mentioned. I’m not into all the prepper/survivalist stuff.
American Frontiersman was a great magazine, but I have not seen it in awhile.
Walk

Cowboy, many thanks for your kind endorsement of my book (Flintlocks - a Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation). Readers have been very generous in their praise of this book. May I mention that the book is available from the NMLRA (see most issues of Muzzle Blasts magazine for an ad inclluding the address). Amazon Books sells a Kindle version (but I much prefer the print version because the photos are much clearer). Anyone with questions about the book is welcome to contact me ([email protected]).
Best wishes to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, I may contact you for a signed copy. I went to one of the online used book sellers and they wanted a LOT of money for one. While the book very well may be worth it, I'd prefer to pay less.

Cowboy, many thanks for your kind endorsement of my book (Flintlocks - a Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation). Readers have been very generous in their praise of this book. May I mention that the book is available from the NMLRA (see most issues of Muzzle Blasts magazine for an ad inclluding the address). Amazon Books sells a Kindle version (but I much prefer the print version because the photos are much clearer). Anyone with questions about the book is welcome to contact me ([email protected]).
Best wishes to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back