• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinekayak

40 Cal
Reaction score
Couple of firsts today. First flintlock shots ever and first shots out of my new. .54 Frontier. 10 rounds 50 yards. .535 prb. Pre lubed patches First 3 60 gr 3f. Then the rest 80 grs 2f. No wiping between shots. The first six rounds instantaneous ignition. Then
5BEF3C5C-052E-4ED4-914B-CD5BAD4F71EA.jpeg
a little lag after that and my lack of flintlock expierence showed.

I still need to play. The .535 needed serious persuasion to start but was easy to seat once the ball got going. Also need to play with when to vent pick. I know some people leave one in when loading. Only had two flashes in the pan. Those were the two times i used too much powder in the pan i think. Seems to like two or three pushes of 4f with a pan primer. Four “pushes” doesnt seen to work as well.

Nice rifle. I had a Pedersoli Blue Ridge which is the same gun by a different name and it would shoot single hole groups at 30 yards on the regular. It was my first flinter, in fact. Strange timing, but I just sold it to a friend yesterday afternoon to make room for my new trade gun.

Anyone have recommendations on how many shots to fire to break in the barrel before I start filing the front sight?

That's some darn good shootin! I'd be proud of that group. I've heard a lot of positive things about those rifles. I have kinda been wanting one myself. I know they aren't an exact replica of any particular gun but if they shoot that well that is what I care about most. Well done and congrats on your new rifle and great choice of caliber too.

Have a Frontier, and Hatfield. Traded off a Blue Ridge recently. All flintlock.

They’re all extremely accurate! More than capable of winning any range or woods walk match.

They’re easy on flint’s. Ignition is extremely fast.

Just need to work up your load to verify acceptable grouping. Sight her in and you’re ready for any challenge? They’re a contender right out of the box.

Lastly, can’t beat the price on these production gun’s.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Really nice gun, shooting, and post. I am encouraged as I hope to get to the range this week for several hours of PRB time. I think a .54 is about as good as it gets with deer hunting in eastern USA. PRB should do fine for deer there.

Caliber in .54 is more than adequate anywhere in the USA my friend.

Excellent caliber for those big muley’s or elk out west as well!

Flat trajectory, hard hitting ball with plenty of knock down power. The .54 is definitely more than capable of knocking anything down that the eastern part of the country has to offer.

Respectfully, Cowboy

so...…. I pulled my rifle out yesterday to check and make sure I had done a good clean and reorganized my range boxes. I went to put the powder in my little priming flask away and thought the grain size looked off. I realized that when I refilled it on the range (I had only put a little 4f in to start) I refilled it with 2f. learned two things 1. double check powder and 2 the little lag I was getting on the second half of my range session was probably caused by using 2f in the pan. good to know it will work in a pinch but ooof!

Back