• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Northeastern war club

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I finished a piece for an upcoming program at the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, based on mid-18th century Iroquois clubs. Many of the originals were maple, but I didn't have any, so this is oak. All hand carved. Had a lot of fun, learn few things to do and to don't. Reasonably happy with it, all in all.
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_8079.JPG
    IMG_8079.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8080.JPG
    IMG_8080.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8081.JPG
    IMG_8081.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 121
Lord, don't let my wife get her hands on that, her Dakota blood might get stirred up! Really yours is a nice job from scratch. Say, I believe Muzzleloader Builder's Supply used to have roughed out 'precarved' war clubs you could modify/finish yourself, in rock maple; Maybe it was somebody else; I hate getting old. Can't remember anything; surely I didn't drink that much whiskey in my misspent youth! LOL! P.S. what about a spike for penetration as well as blunt trauma? (I've been told by warriors that the spike can hang up in a head, like a tomahawk, and slow down it's removal, causing sometimes fatal delay for the user dealing with multiple opponents; the blunt trauma ball does not and is therefore faster in action.) Thanks for sharing! George.

Last edited:
Take a look at the wounds created by such weapons at Fort Laurens in the Ohio territory.
I carved one as a teenager from a fir 2x6! One of our group carried it on the Crawford Campaign during the 230th anniversary event, Battle of Olentangy. It was dropped on the site and lost, then later recovered by my friends.
So I have an 'original' wooden war club souvenir of that site!

Back