• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any one bought a Milita House gun before?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so I guess that the 10 foot rule still lives? GOD, it has been around since the beginning of REINACTORING TIME! we all remember it back in the day. and events still went on without a glitch/ hitch.

His Long Land Brown Bess is a nice gun, well built sturdy, very much like a pedersoli but with a 46 inch barrel.

With the pedersoli 1762 Grace Lock and a colerain barrel and walnut stock, you’re getting a quality reproduction that is for the most part very accurate.

Pieces were all hand made, that is correct, but the parts and the finished product had to match the pattern. They may not have been identical and the parts would not be interchangeable, but each one would conform to the established pattern. Maybe the origin of the final product has to look like the pattern from 10 feet away. A button ram rod or a trumpet tip would conform to pattern.

Agree to a point, Charleville Muskets (more so than British Muskets) were constantly sent back to armoires for revamping and upgrading. (Bianchi).

The 1766 was sent back to have its stock reshaped (the buttstock comb was leveled and forearm reduced), and a rear band spring added in 1767, which many collectors called it the 1768 pattern. Then in 1770-1776, older serviceable 1768’s had heavier bands placed on them and ramrod spoons were changed up or added, the trumpeted shaped ramrod was being used on all Charleville patterns after 1770.

Serviceable heavy model 1763 Charleville musket had their ramrods changed out from button shaped to trumpeted, this was done because the trumpeted shape fits the upper band mortise tighter, the earlier button ramrods were a little loser and required one or two barrel leaf springs to hold it in the gun.

In a much broader aspect, you can’t treat these muskets like Cookie cutter guns; in the field the armor would not turn away a musket that was pattern specific, if it worked and was serviceable it was acceptable in the continental army.

The British had the luxury of being more fussy about pattern specific arms and attention to details, an older 1756 Long Land could be swapped out for the latest upgraded second pattern with the 1756 being handed down to a loyalist, ‘rather than cutting down the barrel to short land specifications’. While many long lands were cut down, this was seen done with more irregular troops.

the public with their children come th an event to have a great day out. and try to remember that day in history class that they dozed off in, and try to answer there children's questions, cant remember, so take them over to the reenactors and let them explain what is going on at this point in history.i know be cause it happened to me!

Anyone ever purchased a musket from militia house ? How’s the detail ? Thanks very appreciated

I had not heard of Militia House before. Thanks for the "heads up" on this!

Everything I saw on the website looks to be carefully researched, well designed, and neatly constructed. I'll need to bookmark that site. I may just give him some of my business.

Notchy Bob

Thanks for the heads up. I was in the market for a brown bess but the French Tulle Marine musket caught my eye.

After taking a very close look at his website. Decided its a no go for me. If you zoom in on his French guns, the inletting Is not done well, gaps are pretty obvious And the shape and finish seems off, like the stocks are not oiled and stained with A dark furniture stain. There’s also no listing of any prior apprentice experience, clearly he doesn’t do this full-time, that kind of experience isn’t good enough, a guy building guns on his spare time just isn’t a good sell for me, I’m a guy who tries to build guns on his spare time. The Brown Bess looks like a Pedersoli Bess with some modifications to it.

Tigregard pictured here is straight and screws don’t look countersunk.

1595259584954.jpeg

Not good in letting, looks like the lockplate is set in too deep.

1595259668764.jpeg

The side plate here looks like its not inlet at all, and is drifting down off the panel, panel also looks like it has rough file marks on it. The stain on this gun also looks way too dark, and the finish isn’t there too, looks like no oil or sealer was applied.

1595259786098.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll be nice and say this. If historical accuracy is your desire. Keep looking.
If you want something "French styled " at a modest cost then buy one.

Historical accuracy has nothing to do with attaching a straight triggerguard or quality wood to metal fitting. I‘m an avid collector Of historical arms and reenact 1812 In New Orleans, I’ve seen poor quality muskets before that were historically accurate, but poor quality is just poor quality. Anyone paying 1200-1500 for a gun should be getting a musket that’s built correctly regardless of the historical accuracy of that arm. Navy Arms Charlevilles and Brown Bess’s were not historically accurate at all but the quality of the gun is almost unmatched.

I said I was being nice.
I can write an essay on what is wrong with these arms, Centermark and a host of others....
Oh,wait . I have...........

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1595284048114.jpg
    FB_IMG_1595284048114.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 134
  • FB_IMG_1595284183020.jpg
    FB_IMG_1595284183020.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 144
TVLLE, now that is a GUN!! most every item on the site is SUSPENDED?

I'll be nice and say this. If historical accuracy is your desire. Keep looking.
If you want something "French styled " at a modest cost then buy one.

I sent him a Rifle Shoppe Kit to build, the results were poor. Without disclosing specific details, custom gun work requires extensive knowledge of the gun and its details, and a high pedigree of talent in regards to measuring, marking, drilling and inletting. this was just no where to be seen, But I take responsibility for choosing the wrong person to build my kit, I own that Completely.

Back