• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Guy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, glad to be part of this forum. I recently inherited a TCA Hawkins 50 caliber. It's an early 70's kit model. It has a 1:48 twist. Can anyone help me with what type of ammo, patches, and powder to use? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome from TN.

I have a dozen videos or so on my YouTube channel in the “New Shooter” playlist that should help you out.

Here’s a link to one on which powder to use. Pay attention to the replies you get as there is no one way to do anything Black Powder related and few rules that are hard and fast.

Which Black Powder?

Another Welcome from TN.

Black Powder TV has some good videos on shooting muzzleloaders. I haven't watch all of his videos (plan to though) but the ones I've watched are very informative. Anytime you have any questions please feel free to ask, that's what we are here for, to help.

Enjoy your muzzleloading journey!

Welcome from Oklahoma.
I'd say to start off with a round ball and shooting patches of different thickness.
Real black powder if you can get it. Pyrodex or Triple 7 are good sub powders.
Muzzle-Loaders.com is a good online source for supplies.

Welcome from Michigan, I am newer here as well and the only advice I can give with certainties is to read everything you can find and that honest questions will get honest answers.
Great folks here and mountains of information.

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

Doesn’t say in your profile where you are from. Might be someone close by that could help, or maybe a local club, but need to know your general location.

Latest posts

Back