• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLOSED I need a .526 Round Ball Mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know and sure do not want to upset any one but a suggestion, call Larry and ask if you would send him a undersized block mould if he could re-cut it to the size you need, his web page says he will make custom moulds so there is a chance he could mill it out.the worst thing that could happen is a no. I have spoken to Larry at numerous events and he is a good fellow might be able to help or direct you to someone who can. A .526 block mould seems it would be difficult to come by.

I do not know and sure do not want to upset any one but a suggestion, call Larry and ask if you would send him a undersized block mould if he could re-cut it to the size you need, his web page says he will make custom moulds so there is a chance he could mill it out.the worst thing that could happen is a no. I have spoken to Larry at numerous events and he is a good fellow might be able to help or direct you to someone who can. A .526 block mould seems it would be difficult to come by.
Good idea. Thanks.

Just checked Lyman site the closet they make is .530, which you said will not work for you. a suggestion if track sells the .525 balls perhaps they would have moulds also, my bet those are swaged balls. Might be worth a call to them.

My preferred or maybe better called usually method is to adjust the patch thickness to match ball and bore, but assume you have already explored that path without success. That said, I’ve been able to bump the size of cast balls up .002” to .003” by going from pure lead to a lead alloy. Lee offers a 6 cavity .520” mold (check TOW) that with a little alloy development could get you real close to what you want for a bit over $50. Might be something to consider. If you are insistent on a .526” diameter the custom mold makers I have looked at would ‘guarantee’ +.003” -.000” or so of requested cast diameters with their molds. And at a cost of not less than $300 for one or two custom molds. That money buys a lot of different patch material from the local Joanne Fabrics store if you can’t find an existing mold. Food for thought.

Lee will make special sizes, but you need to order a bunch of moulds to make it cost effective. I don't know if this forum has a "poll" function or not, but it might be worthwhile to poll the brethren and see who would buy a .526" round ball mould if they were available. I sure would. The fellow with Eras Gone (forgot his name) gets special conical mounds made and sells them through his website. If there is sufficient interest in a .526" round ball mould, maybe he could be talked into having a batch of them made.

Moose Moulds has a few odd sized round ball moulds, but last time I checked they did not have a .526".

Notchy Bob

I also use .526 balls for Rice and Colerain barrels. It takes a thick patch to fill the too deep grooves. Then it is hard to load beacause the patch is too thick for the lands. I have looked for a mold, but Tanner is about the best choice.

Strange. My Colerain .54 loads/shoots .530 balls just fine.

Anyway, as mentioned above, Lyman used to make a .526 mold. I owned one back in the 1970's. I seem to recall the .54 barrels back then that came from Numrich or Bill Large actually measured .535 L-L. The .526 worked well with these barrels. Probably the reason TOTW still offers this size in pre-cast balls. Surprised Lyman or Lee doesn't still make one.

Done some research last night their out there but good luck finding one, and the ones I came across were all ready sold. The Lyman and lee sites no longer make odd ball sizes any more the closest I could find were .530, it seems this is going to be a custom adventure. good luck on your quest.

Strange. My Colerain .54 loads/shoots .530 balls just fine.

Anyway, as mentioned above, Lyman used to make a .526 mold. I owned one back in the 1970's. I seem to recall the .54 barrels back then that came from Numrich or Bill Large actually measured .535 L-L. The .526 worked well with these barrels. Probably the reason TOTW still offers this size in pre-cast balls. Surprised Lyman or Lee doesn't still make one.
I can use .530 balls but they are tight going down with a .015" patch and often the patch will be cut. Accuracy with .530's is OK, but with the .526 balls the holes are touching at 60 yards. That's more what I am accustomed to.

I have three Colerain barrels and all seem a bit tighter than my other brands in the same calibers. I had to drop down to a .380 ball and .015" patch with my .40.

Thanks all for your input

Are you sure they are .530? For years I cast RBs and took them as mould size because I had no way to measure. Some time later I did measure, come to find out they were slightly larger than the mould size stated.

Just tried to order the mold from Brownells. It wouldn't let me put it in the cart. May have to call them. Says it is special order. 5-8wks.

$22 and it went right into my cart.... didn’t place order, but it’s available, just have to wait. Might be Lee cutting the molds or someone else, does that really matter? Lee does sell blank molds, so if someone had the tools, shouldn’t be real difficult for someone to pull off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back