• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wasp nest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried old wasp nest in my 10 bore, was not impressed, went back to using Mike's quality black powder wads.

Had a huge nest of yellow flying stinging critters move in next to my stand, in the ground.
I gave em a good spray and another critter dug up what was left that night. Good riddance.

Last edited:
Anyone who does not know what we Are talking about …..

Attachments

• bald-faced_hornet_nest2.jpg
    bald-faced_hornet_nest2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 105
I use any kind of dried up insect nest for wadding its perfect for smoothbore wadding. The only problem I have around here is finding it.
My thoughts exactly. Experimented on my farm a little this week with different waddings. Wasp nest is nearly perfect but I cannot otherwise see how I would get/keep lots of this stuff on hand.

My thoughts exactly. Experimented on my farm a little this week with different waddings. Wasp nest is nearly perfect but I cannot otherwise see how I would get/keep lots of this stuff on hand.
put it in a box or a plastic bag, not hard to do?

use the out side of the nest also. don't waste any of what GOD provided for you too use.

smo,
...and how/when did you discover that nest?
Occupied at the time?

I found it in the Fall just prior to hunting season, it was unoccupied at the time.

However there were more in there, But I only got stung 3 times and managed to shoot buck in the meantime....

Now I go up in mid to late October and set off a couple of wasp bombs prior to hunting season ..

ever heard of cold weather / winter? they have moved out when it comes, and next summer start all over again.

I use wasp nest when I can find it, but I can make retardant newspaper easily and use consistent sized pieces for loading my gun. The newspaper wadding is better at making the same load each time and paper is a historic material used for wadding.
LBL

Years ago when my kids were little, I harvested a beautiful big paper wasp nest for them. It was winter, and my son brought it to school one Friday for show and tell. It was quite a hit, and an even bigger one on Monday morning when they thawed out and started flying around. They had to evacuate the room, and a hardy janitor did the damage control. Fun memories.... I don't know the science, but there were lots of frozen wasps that resurrected from that nest.

Those in the box are wasp nest , found under the eves and corners of barnes and such, the big paper footballs are bald faced hornet nest, harvest them in the winter, all the hornets die and drop out, there are combs inside those too but the paper can be used too.

Back