• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Clear-Shot BP replacement 2F, 3F & 4F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This phony BP replacement is listed also as a 4F granulation - Is this suitable as a priming powder? - or - Is the 4F disignation meant to say it is suitable for small pistol charges?
:Has anyone used it? - the 4F, I mean, as a priming powder.
Daryl

I wouldn't get attached to it I believe it or clean shot went bankrupt most dealers are selling it cheap Magkor 3 is the newest rage its supposed to work in flinters but I aint used it yet their website is www.magkor.com I might try it specially in .32'sand36.s
weasel

I don't know about these new fangled powder substitutes.
My rifles all have sensitive stomachs. If it aint real black powder, then they aint swallowing it.

My neighbor tried some of the Clear-Shot 3F manure and that's exactly what it is... With his .45 cal. Hawken style rifle he shot three, three shot groups off cross sticks at 25 yards and it marked 2 plus inches low and had about a 2 plus inch spread each time. He then went back to his good ol' Goex 3f and shot three, three shot groups from the sticks at 25 yards and stacked every shot on top the other in the bulls'eye, each group! No bull!!! I swear that Clear-Shot sounded as if he was shooting a kids cap gun. He used 60 grains in all his test of the Clear-Shot, and Goex... Why people waste their time and money on fake powder is their business, but I'd hate to think that someday that's all we'll have available to us because we neglected the real stuff... If you can get it, support the real black powder... What's so bad about using real black powder in a real black powder muzzleloader??? Just some things I felt needed to be said...

I grew through what you're referring to regarding different powders...but unfortunately threre are real, practical considerations that affect 99% of anybody who might want to try muzzleloading, and you probably already know them.

Real black powder is almost impossible to find on a local basis but subs like Pyrodex are available everywhere...and to be honest, Pyrodex actually works very well...used it for years before I switched to flintlocks & Goex...so there's not a lot of incentive for the occasional ML'er to even think beyond buying a Lb of Pyrodex at Walmart.

The average guy has no insight into ML/BP suppliers and mail ordering, etc...and if they do, it's a rare place that will sell less than a case of real BP at a time anyway;

And the average guy starting out may only take a ML out a couple times a year, only hunting a ML over one weekend of a short special season so he's not going to lay out $225+ dollars for a case of something...I didn't when I started.

It's only if muzzleloading really gets in your blood and you start shooting a lot, subscribe to magazines, find ML message boards, learn about real BP, etc, that you're more apt to make the switch to real BP, start thinking about case prices, etc...I started in the late 80's and as of this year 2004 still do not know anyone locally who shoots a ML year round like I do...they pull out an inline or a TC Hawken for a Saturday before the regular gun season starts then reach for their .30-06's.

Back when I started I was drawn into it by all the marketing hype about inlines and BP subs, and that same hype about "modern powder for muzzleloaders" actually implies that real BP is inferior, dirty, dangerous, etc...I wasn't even sure if real BP even existed any more, assumed it was outlawed, etc.

The good news is that the marketing hype and BP subs have drawn untold thousands and thousands of people into muzzleloading that never would have thought about stepping into it otherwise, and like me, some may get hooked, shoot a lot, and start buying real BP by the case...but most occasional muzzleloaders won't for all the reasons above.

as it seems no one has tried the 4F clearshot for priming.
: I have tried 3F BlackMag3 - or 2F or whatever it is- in the .450Alaskan Model 71Mauser & obtained greater velocity than with BP or Pyrodex by 200fps. & 1 1/2" at 100MTRs for accuracy. That's fine for the ctg. BP gun, but doesn't help with my flinter.
; I was able to ignite it(BM3) in the pan, no problem, but of course, being a BP replacement, it is actually a smokeless powder and burns like one when unconfined. The flint gun would not ingite it in the barrel without a primering charge of 3F.
: When I saw it listed as 4F, I thought perhaps they might have done more than merely sell the dust as 4F. Being smokeless, I was grasping for straws, I guess.
: BP cannot be shipped by any means in Canada at this time as no carrier will handle it, it seems. The Dangerous goods carrier(FED GOVT Contract) won't handle class "A" explosives.
: Guys that have BP, get it from the States or from Americans coming up here for shoots, it seems.
: Locally, the Gun Store owner drives to Bellingham to get caps and BP and charges us $32.95lb. for GOEX & $6.95/tin for caps. The flint gun is much cheaper to shoot.

Daryl,,, Are you allowed to come into the U.S.A., and purchase powder to personally carry back to British Columbia if you are not a dealer? If so, is there a limit to what your allowed to bring in? The price is just horrible you guys have to pay for Goex, and caps! ::

Yeah- the limit per person is 3 lbs.
: When my wife and I drive back to BC from Ontario around the 12th of June, we'll be driving through Minn, North Dakota, Montana, etc, and will be picking up some powder for certain. I'd really like to try the Swiss powder & at around $20.00 US (about $30.00 CDN)it's roughly the same price as GOEX here.
: I think the Swiss might be spectacular in the Sharps 50-70. Original 1859 barrel, re-lined by Sharps in 1867/8 by Government Contract of 1867. It's a very accurate barrel and nicley smooth inside - incredible for being almost 150 years old. Too bad it has a 42" twist, but a shortened original bullet shoots accurately to 500 yds.
: Hmmm - wandering of topic as usual - yeah - looking forward to buying all the BP I can on this coming trip. 6 lbs anyway.

Daryl....

I haven't tried the Clear Shot in 4F. I assume you're talking about the GOEX Clear Shot and not the "Clean Shot" some other outfit offered at one time, but I tried it too. Both were tried in BPC rifles. Triple 7 beat Clear Shot by a substantial margin regarding velocity and accuracy. I tried it in two Shiloh Sharps rifles, one chambered in 45-90 and the other in 40-70. The Clean Shot I tried was dismal in everything I put it in. That runs the gamut from my 40-70SS, 45-2.4, 45-2.6 (a Ballard), a 43 Mauser double rifle and an E. M. Reilly 500 BPE double. It was horribly inconsistent. GOEX Clear shot was vastly better than Clean Shot but not near as good as 777. The 777 just barely shaded GOEX Ctg. in accuracy but was 100-150 fps faster than GOEX. I thought that considerable. I've not tried the Swiss yet but have heard nothing but great things from those who have.

I know this is not what you asked but perhaps it will give you some kind of basis to draw from for future research. Let me know how different powders work for you!

Vic

This "Clear Shot" powder that is available, is not listed as mfg'r, unfortunately. All that is listed is the name, Clear Shot and the different granulations.
: Thankyou for the input, Sharps.
; Double rifle in .43 Mauser, MOST interesting. I have shot a Maharaja's .500 BP double rifle, along with the shotgun bore sized rifles belonging to a friend in Smithers, B.C. - what pleasant days at the range - and purple shoulders afterwards. The 10 bore did kick a bit but not as much as the 8bore.
Daryl

Re Clean shot, I believe they have gone out of business again and if I'm not mistaken they were the same co. called Black Canyon that also went out of business. I remember talking to them about their product a few yrs. ago and their attitude was their powder was perfect and it was up to the gun people to make guns that would work with their powder. WRONG!
Daryl, had no idea you folks had to pay so much for powder,
that's awful. Just recently I got a phone call from a man I didn't even know asking if I used black powder. He had just got married and was moving into a new house and his wife didn't want it and said I'll give it to you and even diliver it. He brought me 21-1lb.cans of Goex 2 &3F for
nothing. Somebody up there likes me. ::

That is correct.....For what it's worth......'Black Canyon' Powder, Legend Products Corp, 1555 E flamingo Road, Suite 404, Las Vegas, NV 89119......and 'Clean Shot' Powder, Clean Shot Technologies, Inc., 1475 Blair Road, Whitewater, Co 81527.......both must be the same, they have the same instruction sheet.....same printing and paper.......my local gun shop gave me a case free to burn up......he couldn't sell it........john.....

ML, I've still got some of the Black Canyon stuff also.
I was at a shoot last yr. where they had a case or two they were trying to give away.

I beleive "Clean Shot" is now marketed under the name "American Pioneer". I have used it and I really did find it pretty decent, BUT, it degrades in time and is not consistant. It is cleaner and does not ignite well in a flint. I am using up what I have left in a cap lock shotgun. I am going back to BP exclusively. You still have to clean the gun after using the fake powder, so I might as well use good consistant powder.

Back