• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch??? Not what you'd expect the question to be.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you remember the little beaver trap earrings sold back in the 70s and 80s? One year a friend and I killed a bunch of mice in an old barn. Lined there little bodies up and through a few of these tiny traps in front and got a ‘trophy’ photo like used to be in Fin,Fether,and Fur trapping magazines

tenngun:
Yes, I remember the trap earrings.
Odd that you mentioned Fins, Furs, and Feathers? A friend of mine wrote for that PA. periodical for many, many, years. His name was Keith Schuyler. He was the father of one of my best friends growing up, Brad Schulyer. I was in the mag. a few times over the years for archery articles. Keith and his family lived about a 1/4 mile below me; through the woods here in Berwick. I went to school with and spent a LOT of time wth Brad fishing in the family's pond. Not sure where Brad lives these days? We lost contact with each other when I went into the military. Keith wrote mostly fishing articles. He was an insurance salesman and also did testing of new equipment for a lot of big time tackle manufacturers. He also wrote a number of bow hunting books.
Just thought that was neat that you mentioned it. What's the odds? Do you live here; near me, in NE Pa.?
God bless:
Two Feathers

This is one I purchased (if you I can look up from whom), it is patched with Squirrel Rawhide and he even left a couple shot embedded in the hide.

The make says he makes them to simulate repairs he had read about or seen. He also had some that had been repaired with wire staples. But I really like the Squirrel hide with shot!

Attachments

• 20200715_194346.jpg
    20200715_194346.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 105
tenngun:
Yes, I remember the trap earrings.
Odd that you mentioned Fins, Furs, and Feathers? A friend of mine wrote for that PA. periodical for many, many, years. His name was Keith Schuyler. He was the father of one of my best friends growing up, Brad Schulyer. I was in the mag. a few times over the years for archery articles. Keith and his family lived about a 1/4 mile below me; through the woods here in Berwick. I went to school with and spent a LOT of time wth Brad fishing in the family's pond. Not sure where Brad lives these days? We lost contact with each other when I went into the military. Keith wrote mostly fishing articles. He was an insurance salesman and also did testing of new equipment for a lot of big time tackle manufacturers. He also wrote a number of bow hunting books.
Just thought that was neat that you mentioned it. What's the odds? Do you live here; near me, in NE Pa.?
God bless:
Two Feathers
Missiouri, south west side near Springfield

This is one I purchased (if you I can look up from whom), it is patched with Squirrel Rawhide and he even left a couple shot embedded in the hide.

The make says he makes them to simulate repairs he had read about or seen. He also had some that had been repaired with wire staples. But I really like the Squirrel hide with shot!
Turkey foot traders?

I've read, here, I'm pretty sure, of squirrel skin being used for a repair because it was thin but tough. I recall it was on a rifle, but then I often have trouble remembering breakfast clearly. Have to try it one day myself. I can usually recall what was hands on.

Guys:
Thank you one and all for your comments/ideas. I think the Squirrel skin with embedded shot might tax my capabilities just a bit? That sounds more like a job for an experienced Taxidermist?
I am intrigued; though, by how many different solutions there seem to be?
I don't own a horn with a hole in it, BUT if I ever do (71 yrs. old, highly unlikely) I'll have some great ideas on how to fix it? :thumb:
Once again: Thank you, everyone.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Two Feathers,
If it was me, I'd use some thin rawhide wrap to cover the damaged area and wrap that to secure it with dampened sinew, tied tightly. Let that dry thoroughly and then paint the whole repair with either hoof glue or clear varnish/lacquer to seal it. Using a wood plug for any small holes is good to start with, then rawhide wrap, etc. -- but you said you don't actually have a hole in the horn. A friend of mine broke his .54 caliber J&S Hawken stock at the wrist and repaired the break with hide glue with a thin "splint" on each side to reinforce it, then wrapped the whole repair area with rawhide and tacked that in place with brass tacks and lacquered over the hide to seal it. It's still holding stout, but it's only been about 40 years now .... ! He won't talk about how the break happened, so I won't either. There's a framed drawing by Joe Turner hanging on my wall that shows that kind of rifle stock repair. I'm attaching a snapshot for you. Good luck.
Tanglefoot

Attachments

• Repairs (2).jpg
    Repairs (2).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 82
Tanglefoot:
Thank you buddy. I'm still using that Linen thread that you sent. It works great, thank you again.

I've heard of these types of repairs and like I stated earlier, I've seen them in a Museum near Gettysburg. I guess the Frontiersmen weren't the ONLY folks to make repairs in such a manner? Apparently the militia men did it as well? I've gotten some really good feedback on this question, AND some very creative ideas! A couple stand out, but are probably beyond my capabilities?
I like your photo. I'll have to save it for inspiration. :ThankYou:
Thanks again.
How's the heat down(out) there?
Not bad here today, FINALLY!!!
Take care and stay safe, my friend.
God bless:
Two Feathers

For gluing hide I saw a good write up using pine tar and deer(or)buffalo dung (says you can use coal if you wish).
I saw a guy on an Alaskan show who used the same method for tieing his arrow heads and flint knives.
The dung (or coal) is the hardening catalyst - I think it was one part dung to two parts pin tar.

Mad L:
I watch Mountain Men, have for years. On the show,Tom Orr just used a similar "glue" on an episode to haft a knapped flint blade onto a handle to make a knife. I believe that there are several "recipes" for Pitch, Dung, and Ash "glue online? Don't remember where I saw them, but they ARE out there!
Thanks for your input.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Useful tip. Catalytic action akin to super glue and baking soda.
Wonder if it's the ammonia in the dung or the traces of digestive acid, i.e. hydrochloride?

I have no idea if it was used to patch a horn but pine pitch, firepit charcoal, and rabbit manure fibers. break down the charcoal to powder, grind the dry rabbit turrds to powder. heat the pitch to liquid but don't boil it. add the powdered ingredients. smear it on and ill tell you it will never leak. note, you cant use just pitch because it will stay gooey quite a while and then become brittle. I patched my boat with that mixture.
tom
ou

Back