• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fifty Caliber Hollow Base Molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For off the shelve "deer rifles" the common fare is pretty much .50 bore, 48" twist and rifling grooves of medium depth. In other words, minie ball guns.
Yet there's darn little in the way of good hollow base bullet molds designed for them.
Is there a good mold being offered these days, something besides the Lee "improved" minie?

1 in 48" is a fairly fast twist for a mini, they usually like a slower twist. "Medium depth" rifling also is usually on the upper limits of depth for a mini. Most OTC deer rifles are configured to work with slugs that engage the rifling on loading or have plastic around them. There are mold makers out there that will custom make a mini mold to your specs (slug the bore) for a price that is quite reasonable.

What you describe would not be a Minie ball rifle. Think Civil War rifled muskets for that. What you want is either round ball and patch or a belted type maxi ball which come in many styles. Some with a partial hollow base and some with solid base. Here is a TC maxi with lube applied.
TC Maxi.jpg

Lee makes a mold for the REAL (rifling engraved at loading) conical bullet. The 250 grain works well in most rifles. Really, the 50 caliber round ball is more than adequate for deer hunting.

48" twist isn't fast at all for a fifty.
In .58 caliber it's fast enough to provide exceptional accuracy for minies.

Might be a typo, but if it works for @Eterry in his guns, great. Have found many of the so-called rules to be little more than guidelines at times. Multiple conical weights, along with roundballs can work in the same barrel. In addition to twist rate, depth of rifling plays a role in what it will shoot well.

Last edited:
Pretty much all in the charge. Fast twist with too heavy a charge runs risk of skipping. Can happen in slower twist especially if the projectile fit is too loose.

Pretty much all in the charge. Fast twist with too heavy a charge runs risk of skipping. Can happen in slower twist especially if the projectile fit is too loose.

I wonder about that skipping thing. It seems very unlikely.

I've never heard it called skipping but I have heard it called stripping. That's where the lead projectile is pushed too hard and the projectile can't hold the rifling so it strips off some of the lead instead. Because of this it doesn't follow the twist and doesn't stabilize properly. Because it doesn't stabilize in flight, you get and inaccurate sometime tumbling bullet.

I've never heard it called skipping but I have heard it called stripping. That's where the lead projectile is pushed too hard and the projectile can't hold the rifling so it strips off some of the lead instead. Because of this it doesn't follow the twist and doesn't stabilize properly. Because it doesn't stabilize in flight, you get and inaccurate sometime tumbling bullet.

I have never thought that is a real thing. I shoot 30:1 bullets at 1600 fps out of a rifle with .002 to .003 grooves and 1:20 twist. No stripping. That's a modern rifle . You will have a hard time getting a conical bullet to that speed in an ML. I an cite other examples but I've already crossed the forum line.

Lee makes the REAL in most calibers in 2 weights, a lighter one for faster twist, heavier for slow twist.
I've had good luck using the REAL bullets with an over powder wad.

Oops, my fingers were moving faster than my noggin.

Yes, the Heavier one should be for Fast Twist, and Vice Versa.
Guess I was having a not so senior senior moment.

I wonder about that skipping thing. It seems very unlikely.
It's a real thing, especially with very shallow rifling. I had that issue with a 45/XX shooting soft lead and big charges of black powder. After recovering several bullets from the berm it was obvious what was happening. I slowed them down enough for the issue to go away.

Last edited:
Back