• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How long without cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why buy something if you can make it yourself for pennies on the dollar ? Wasting money won't make it clean any better.

When southern humidity pushes up here to Maine I find rust will start quickly. it seems to be easy to wipe of with a rag though it sometimes leaves a stain on the metal. This is on guns with no finish and I tend to view it as part of the aging process.
In the 18th century cleaning between shots was probably limited to a quick wipe and next charge in the bore. Might get cleaned same day or when time allowed.
Mine clean up nice same day and look ok to me with a patina and no hard rust. I use sweet Canola oil on all exterior metal and in the barrel. The lock interior gets light 3 in 1 oil that won't gum up.
LBL
What is "sweet" canola oil? How does it differ from regular canola oil and where do you get it? I've never heard the term before. Thanks.

Years ago A big discount chain went out of business. They had 2 big bottles of Hoppes Black powder solvent like 80% off. I bought them and they sat in my cabinet for ever.

I've always used hot water and some kind of soap to clean my black powder guns. Decided to give this stuff a try. It seems to work ok, no better or worse than what ive used before. I think almost anything wet will clean black powder residue. I started storing my guns muzzle down to keep oil from settling in the breach.

I thought canola oil is what you fry tators, crappie and hush puppies in...

Years ago A big discount chain went out of business. They had 2 big bottles of Hoppes Black powder solvent like 80% off. I bought them and they sat in my cabinet for ever.

I've always used hot water and some kind of soap to clean my black powder guns. Decided to give this stuff a try. It seems to work ok, no better or worse than what ive used before. I think almost anything wet will clean black powder residue. I started storing my guns muzzle down to keep oil from settling in the breach.

I thought canola oil is what you fry tators, crappie and hush puppies in...

What do you use for patch lube?

The salt from the popcorn will definitely cause rust and any unpopped kernels will block the touch hole!

I clean my guns after I shoot them. Depending on where I am too what extent of cleaning I do.

If I'm putting the gun away for a few days it gets thoroughly cleaned and wiped down inside and out with Barricade,

If I'm in camp and shooting for consecutive days, then at the end of the day the bore gets cleaned and Barricade applied inside and out.
However I do not pursue a clean white patch in camp as I do prior to storage.

I live in a high humidity area as well and haven't experienced any issues with rusting following this method.

My early years of shooting consisted of incessant swabbing and cleaning, to the extent that for me, it overshadowed the enjoyment of shooting/hunting. I finally decided, I’d swab only if loading became difficult(a rare occurrence), and clean at the end of the day(sometimes two days). To achieve this did require some load and cleaning method modifications. Now, many years later, I’ve maintained accuracy, and experienced no rust, corrosion, or wear. Most importantly, I’ve gotten far more enjoyment out of muzzleloading.

Carbon,

He was referring to a gun that had been lightly used, (fired, but not a great deal.)
I found you the quote;
on Cleaning guns, page 55. "Instructions to young Sportsmen";

"We are told, that a barrel should be cleaned after having been fired about twenty rounds; but as it is not every manner that will now afford so many shots ina day, it becomes a query, how often we may venture to put away a gun which has been used.
I think that, if eight or ten shots have been fired from each barrel, it will be best to have the gun washed on returning from the field; and, if not, the best way to prevent it hanging fire (if kept loaded) is simply to prick the touchhole, put fresh prime, and give the butt a few smart strokes with the hand; or, if a detonator, to prick the nipple and lodge therein a few grains of powder, before you put on the cap,..............."

He goes on a bit longer about it, but doen Not say a "week" like I said in my earlier post.
I think memory is faulty, but, as a gun may be used numerous times before the 8-10 shots per barrel has been reached, I may have ebeen thinking a week's worth of shooting.

best,
Richard.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about if you’re using real BP. If you’re using pyrodex your gun starts rusting as soon as you open the can.
I swab the barrel at the range when I'm done and then bring it home and take it apart and go nuts. Occasionally I take it out and swab everything just to keep an eye on things. I swab the barrel between shots anyway. I consider it part of the shot.

Back