• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap shortage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg Blackburn , it is a gun when it gets to that point who really cares if it is legit. or not. There is a bunch of dead folks from days pass who I believe would dis-agree with that statement.

I don'think a cap n ball revolver is the best thing to stop a modern day mob.......I don't think most newbies would be that handy with one either.

I enjoy black powder firearms but I carry a firearm daily and it's not a cap n ball weapon. These weapons are fun and interesting but they are not reliable nor fast enough on a reload to be considered anything more than an oddity in contemporary defense. Further, the rate of fire with a single action revolver is too slow. I would certainly use one over a stick (or my fists) but I am not in such dire straights. If it's all I had, certainly, I'd carry two, and / or keep a brace of such weapons on hand by the front door, but again, not in that position.

Paul Harrell of Youtube fame did an excellent video on the use of a cap n ball revolver for personal defense. He demonstrated all of these points and discussed those well. He is one of my favorite self defense instructors and I would love to attend one of his classes.

As you I carry daily and have had extensive training for this, As a matter of fact going to a class the end of this month,Done so for the last 30 years. Yes I also would not depend on a cap and ball revolver if needed for this type of situation. But if it was all I had available at the needed moment would not hesitate to go to work with it.

In Tyler, Texas, Gander Mtn. carries caps: but only in hunting season. Limited BP resource. I don't particularly care for that outlet, so haven't been there for a year or so. Can't vouchsafe for them now.

Better than a stick, and when the cap and ball runs dry well it is tomahawk time, most newbies probably are not that familiar with any type of weapon.
A cannon with grape shot. That would work, I lived through the riots in Minneapolis,(6 blocks from ground zero) and had my 2 .44 revolvers, all most brought a cannon home.

Wish you guys would stop hoarding the Lysol brand disinfectant spray too.

Seeing as I have not bought any caps at all since 1999 or so, I don't think I'm the one causing your problems. LOL

Lysol is not that useful. I prefer bleach wipes and hand sanitizer. Sunlight is the best disinfectant though. I wash things over sanitizing.

No problems here, I have enough caps for myself and keep in mind this is a hobby, not a necessity. As for the Lysol, I don't intentionally "sanitize" anything other than the toilet I clean in my house.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Lysol or any generic disinfectant spray anywhere in four months.

BUT, back to cap availability..

I have read several reports from people that the red plastic ring or strip caps can be used. Cut them apart, and stick them on the cones. Supposedly, they fit on pretty well, and from what I have read, they actually work fairly well. Not depend-on-them well, but well enough for plinking in the back yard. Need real black powder, as they're not generally hot enough for substitutes. I have yet to try this, myself.... I never go anywhere where I can get any of the caps. They're cheap, and it's worth a shot!.... so to speak.

Strophel, thinking out side the box good thing, the way things are headed this a way to continue when big brother attempts to squash us.

Back