• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion cap shortage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gun shop here in town always seems to have cci #11 caps but only a few are on the rack. Sportsmans Warehouse is about the same. $5.99/hundred. I always get a couple of tins of them whenever I'm in one of those stores. Over time they add up.

Around here anything that goes bang and the components that make them go bang have disappeared or in the process of doing so do to fear and panic induced by la gauche . In states that require background checks for ammo, reloaders have now become targeted. Percussion caps suffer from the double whammy of normally being in low demand and being considered "components". Last trip to big box stores i saw this:

Attachments

• 20200624_123330.jpg
    20200624_123330.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 133
JDW276,
The way your post was written, does make you come off like one of the dipsticks I was talking about. I did not direct a statement at any one person ether just a wide brush comment. I think we have become too PC with heavy use of modern day hieroglyphics ( :), :thumb: ) .
I can say, be it you or anyone else, If I think you are a dumb a$$ I will say it to you by name, probably in a PM as to not offend others ;).

P.S. I must add that I posted a reply to a reply (post 15) and as many other are guilty of, did not back up and read the original post.
No offense taken. My post was meant for tongue in cheek and to avoid zonie and his we don't talk about what are they called again?😉

So what's up with about every supplier being out of percussion caps this time of year? I'm stocked up and don't need any right now, but it doesn't look like hardly anybody has them.

People are stocking up on any kind of shooting supplies in preparation for the massive civil unrest headed our way over the next year or two. Much worse than we have been seeing over the last few weeks.
There may be an extended period of time when purchase of any kind of ammunition will either be prohibited, or whatever is available will cost four times what it costs now (when it could be found).

Forester made a device called a Tap-o-Cap. You made your own caps out of aluminum can stock and toy roll caps. It works but is labor intensive. Perhaps search ebay.

Tap-o-Cap is going to be difficult to locate. Even if a fella finds one, he’s gonna have a hard time finding the caps. Don’t know of any toy sellers that even sell cap pistols anymore much less the rolls of caps. Don’t wanna expose the children to that evil gun stuff you know. Dang, things sure have changed since I was a kid and not for the better!

The other problem with the Tap-O-Cap is the toy caps. The amount of primer material has been greatly reduced so getting a Tap-O-Cap cap to ignite the powder charge is not very reliable and nearly impossible with substitute powder.

I had no trouble finding caps. I got some at Walmart and Sportsmans Warehouse although these days Walmart supports the idea of guns less so they may no longer have them. One idea I had that someone ran with, they placed a tiny bit of BP under the paper cap to give it more power needed to set off the charge.

JDW276,
The way your post was written, does make you come off like one of the dipsticks I was talking about. I did not direct a statement at any one person ether just a wide brush comment. I think we have become too PC with heavy use of modern day hieroglyphics ( :), :thumb: ) .
I can say, be it you or anyone else, If I think you are a dumb a$$ I will say it to you by name, probably in a PM as to not offend others ;).

P.S. I must add that I posted a reply to a reply (post 15) and as many other are guilty of, did not back up and read the original post.

I am well versed on firearms. However, few people are experts on EVERY firearm. There are thousands and thousands of firearms out there. I work part time in a gun store (retired systems analyst) and I am the only one in that store that knows much about muzzle loaders and any gun made before World War II. We do have the internet and can do research on just about any subject. I have volumes of books on guns and their development. When someone brings in an old gun and wants to know more about it and/or wants it repaired the store owners send them to me. I don't put anyone down for their ignorance. We were all ignorant about everything at one time. When someone posts a question, such as the one about can there be another use for small primers as percussion caps, I don't poke fun at them. They are thinking and trying to solve a problem. The innovators like them quite often are the ones that help solve problems of this world.

Yes, people are scared and rightly so. Many of these people relied on the police and now are realizing that is no longer viable (it never was). I could see such scared and ignorant people buying up everything gun-related they can, even percussion caps, even though those are not legit for self defense.

I have plenty of caps for my use but will try to get hold of more for later.

I have a thousand on hand most of the time. The only retail store close by that sells them is Dunhams sporting goods about 20 minutes away. None of the gun shops in the area carry anything related to traditional style guns. I may have to make a call to Deer Creek and see if they have some in stock. when cooler weather arrives a thousand can go by pretty quick.

I am wondering if tannerite would be a suitable compound for the do it yourselfers in percussion caps, just thinking outside the box. Sadly this is what may be the future route to shooting our weapons. Stock up now boys sh@@ is gonna become scarce.

One other thought if you can find the old style strike anywhere barn burner matches, and a paper straw piece cut the size of a percussion cap, wonder if the compound off these would work. When we were kids we would take the match heads put them in a fired 22 short case and smack them with a hammer on a rock they went bang. Again something to think about if needed there is more than one way to skin a cat just have to study on it a bit.

Yes, people are scared and rightly so. Many of these people relied on the police and now are realizing that is no longer viable (it never was). I could see such scared and ignorant people buying up everything gun-related they can, even percussion caps, even though those are not legit for self defense.

I have plenty of caps for my use but will try to get hold of more for later.
Legit? We don' need no stinkin' legit!

Greg Blackburn , it is a gun when it gets to that point who really cares if it is legit. or not. There is a bunch of dead folks from days pass who I believe would dis-agree with that statement.

I pick up a couple or three hundred per year from a out of the way trading post up here. No hazmat, no shipping.
There is only one of me. Half my guns are flint. And I'm sitting on my legal limit of powder.
Shop slow. Shop smart. Stock yourself when you see it. In my advanced years, I'm set.

I pick up a couple or three hundred per year from a out of the way trading post up here. No hazmat, no shipping.
There is only one of me. Half my guns are flint. And I'm sitting on my legal limit of powder.
Shop slow. Shop smart. Stock yourself when you see it. In my advanced years, I'm set.
How about your legal limit of flints? 😎

That reminds me. Last shortage I bought a few cans every time I went to the store that had supplies. I didn't get allot but enough to last me awhile. I'm not even sure where they are since I moved, some things got misplaced.

Back