• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap shortage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep! that is the new "shortage". I myself have a life time supply vacuum packed. From the last shortage about five years back . I stumbled upon a local hardware store that still had them and bought a case.

I was at the muzzleloader store yesterday they had caps falling off the shelf i picked up 5 tins #11,#10 and powder out the wazoo no shortage around me

You may find a local store with them (I did the other day, fortunately), but the suppliers are usually out... but they're running out of everything. Guns and ammo. Gun store shelves are emptying pretty quickly.

You may find a local store with them (I did the other day, fortunately), but the suppliers are usually out... but they're running out of everything. Guns and ammo. Gun store shelves are emptying pretty quickly.
Oh yea, work parttime at a funstore. I wonder, small primers, something i have read about, seen pics of and look a lot like a cap but they call it a primer? Are near impossible to find as well. Being per the pics i have seen they are about the same size, could the cap production facilities or some of em be redirected to making those small primers? Not sure what they are used for, i will have to do some more research.

I ordered some black powder the other day, and wanted to get some caps with it (I simply ain't paying a haz mat fee just for caps). But no dice. None of any size, any brand. Fortunately, I found some locally, cheaper than if I had ordered them, even without shipping or hazmat. This is a pretty large gun shop, and while their selection was still impressive, it was nowhere near what it used to be. Lots of empty shelf and display case space.

About a month ago, I was looking for # 11 caps. Finally was able to order 500 from Bass Pro.
Don't know what they're supply is today.

What is Bass charging for caps in your area, in my part of NC they want $10 per tin.
I ordered from Graf's a few years ago ($39 per 1000 ordered 5) when they did a no hazmat and free shipping deal when ordering 20lbs of powder.

What is Bass charging for caps in your area, in my part of NC they want $10 per tin.
I ordered from Graf's a few years ago ($39 per 1000 ordered 5) when they did a no hazmat and free shipping deal when ordering 20lbs of powder.
I think I paid about 8 bucks per tin plus hazmat fee plus shipping plus tax. Man, I think I was robbed.

I may have just lucked out (I'm never this fortunate), but the CCI #11 caps I just got were $4.99 per 100.

I wish they'd have had Remington #10's, but nobody ever does around here.

JDW has to be kidding. A funstore employee not knowing the difference between a "cap" and a "primer" or what they are for!!!

JDW has to be kidding. A funstore employee not knowing the difference between a "cap" and a "primer" or what they are for!!!

Really,
Have you visited any gun stores in the past 10 years, many have people behind the counter that have no clue (about 90% of things they are talking about), make recommendations based on a write up in a gun mag or a sales leaflet, sorry got to go take some aspirin.

Really,
Have you visited any gun stores in the past 10 years, many have people behind the counter that have no clue (about 90% of things they are talking about), make recommendations based on a write up in a gun mag or a sales leaflet, sorry got to go take some aspirin.
Fortunately for me i know the difference. Now ask some of those young folks i work with behind the counter what a flintlock is and you get a blank stare. "I read about those in a history book in grade school. Do people still shoot em?"

With no disrespect intended, I am lucky enough to not have to go to any big box fun stores. Can't afford enough aspirin or their exorbident prices.

With no disrespect intended, I am lucky enough to not have to go to any big box fun stores. Can't afford enough aspirin or their exorbident prices.
Mine is not a big box. It is a one owner shop. Someone brings in something older than the korean conflict, they ask me to come over and explain what it is. The guys behind the counter with me, most of em, "gee, its a gun."

Oh yea, work parttime at a funstore. I wonder, small primers, something i have read about, seen pics of and look a lot like a cap but they call it a primer? Are near impossible to find as well. Being per the pics i have seen they are about the same size, could the cap production facilities or some of em be redirected to making those small primers? Not sure what they are used for, i will have to do some more research.

JDW276,
The way your post was written, does make you come off like one of the dipsticks I was talking about. I did not direct a statement at any one person ether just a wide brush comment. I think we have become too PC with heavy use of modern day hieroglyphics ( :), :thumb: ) .
I can say, be it you or anyone else, If I think you are a dumb a$$ I will say it to you by name, probably in a PM as to not offend others ;).

P.S. I must add that I posted a reply to a reply (post 15) and as many other are guilty of, did not back up and read the original post.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back