• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C .50 Cal Hawken bore size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go NoGo gauges are typically used to check functional sizes and don’t provide any variable data. One reason none was provided. One guess in this case is the tech used their Go NoGo gauges that would be used to check a non traditional 50 caliber muzzleloader (that’s all TC makes today) and the bore size tolerances are likely tighter/different than traditional folks would think to accommodate those French shoe things used in the non traditional muzzleloaders. Thus the rejection for bore size being out of spec. If you only have one gauge..... Like the old saying about someone owning just one tool and it happens to be a hammer. Everything they see must be a nail so they hit it. That’s all they know. Just a thought.
I think you are spot on, thanks for your reasoned response!🇺🇸

I don't know what the bore is on a TC Hawken kit I put together a couple of years ago but I couldn't drive a .012 patched .495 ball down the bore with a light hammer. It is that tight so I suspect they vary a bit, a .490 goes down OK.
Nice to find a kindred spirit . . . My TC Hawken (which I've stated mics at .508/.500) loves a .490 ball and .012 patch (red-striped mattress ticking from Joann's). A .015 patch requires a dead-blow hammer to get the patched .490 ball down the barrel.

We used to use the older style military cleaning patches! The ones with a fuzzy side and a course side. Soaked in crisco then blotted to get the excess crisco off them. My hawken was put together by my father. I think he put about seven of them together! Mine was the most accurate of the bunch. A lot of good memories hunting with those guns! That was with a .490 ball also. Just can’t get her to shot like that anymore. Left it load one year, and never got it cleaned like I should have. I paying for it now! Saddens me greatly, that I let this bore get in this condition. Like someone had said if you have time to shoot you better have time to clean!

Already used Flitz, thanks Mooman. Just haven’t shot yet! Wanting on some lanolin to get here. For Emmett lube recipe! And a plains bullet from midsouth I had ordered.

My TC 54 is real tight. I don't know what it measures but I had to buy several 54 RB moulds before I got one that would load easy. The Lee case sizing lube is mostly Lanolin. I've never measure the bores on my MLs, never saw a need. I have on other guns though.

Take your micrometer to Joann fabrics! I’ve never done that myself, but it’s been going on for a long time I’m sure. The people working there are probably familiar with working on stuff like that! Or ole guys like us walking around with a mic in our hands. I would think it’s cheaper to buy fabric then a bunch of bullets that won’t work for you. Just a thought!

I tired that springypond! Just couldn’t get a accurate reading.
I’m not surprised but we felt by comparing with an unfired Hawken, measured the same way we could tell whether it was safe to shoot.
The new barrel was .500 and . 510. We also checked outside both barrels and they were same along entire length.
We also felt the muzzle would show the most wear . My Hawken shooting maxiball groups well and no sign of key holes, so think it’s ok.
i shot one .500 sabot and found it very tight to load. I inherited this gun from a dear friend and don’t think it had much use so was surprised when T/C-S&W said it was unsafe.

Funny you mentioned that, I had a friend passed down a 50 Renegade. After his passing, I passed it down to my son in law. That smoker was like mint condition. Sad what S&W did or said, like someone said earlier it’s all about the lawyers anymore! Heck you can’t even pick your nose the wrong way without somebody trying to sue. LOL

Ok springypond I drove a 54 round ball in the muzzle. Best reading I came up with was .501/.509! Wasn’t pretty but that’s what I settled on.🤔

Ok springypond I drove a 54 round ball in the muzzle. Best reading I came up with was .501/.509! Wasn’t pretty but that’s what I settled on.🤔
Thanks, that’s not much different than the 500 and 507 that we got. I’m just going to accept the measurements and shoot it. It will shoot better than I do anyway!

I usually don't post, but the S&W buying T/C thing burns me. They used to warranty anything and everything, without question, now it seems like there is no warranty at all. I bought my 1st T/C in 1977, a Hawken kit for $109.95. I have sent frizzens back for years, and last time I sent 4, they returned them and said they are a "wear part" and not covered. The later flintlocks had a better frizzen, but the early ones were very shallow case hardened. If you are a Millenial, and reading this forum, you already know more about muzzle loaders than anyone at S&W. They can only hire kids that learned how to shoot from a video game, and have fired 100 rds. out of their new polymer and pot metal krunchentickers.....

I think you are correct. S&W has no intention of honoring the T/ C warranty. I was quoted as you were, that no wear and tear items are included. That’s not what the original warranty says! See attachment from original owners manual!🤬

Attachments

• B00A61DB-54DE-4918-AEF8-7B469A09F9B2.jpeg
    B00A61DB-54DE-4918-AEF8-7B469A09F9B2.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 70
In the manual I got with my Renegade kit it said Lifetime warranty except on kits, which is what I bought and I understand that as they have no control over who is putting it together. But, to not honor their warranty on something they built is totally unacceptable. At this point T/C is not to blame, S&W is, which is even more unacceptable. If they didn't want to accept total responsibility relating to T/C policies they should not have bought them out, plain and simple.

Back