• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

An Everyday Tool.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certus

32 Cal
Reaction score
Although I would describe the original Remington New Model Navy and Colt 1849 Pocket revolvers I own as being in generally good condition, both butt plates show evidence of their use as a hammer in their earlier days.

I reckon the original owners would be shocked if they knew the prices we pay today for what for them was an everyday tool.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_c3c8d0db58b740fead723ec12f4574d7.jpg
AdobePhotoshopExpress_ec655620bd2a4bcf90e7260770649872.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought that was a Hollywood myth, but looks like I'm mistaken. The previous owner had to know they were damaging the gun. I guess some people just don't care. I know someone that never changed the oil in their car, just added more when it go low.

I always thought that was a Hollywood myth, but looks like I'm mistaken. The previous owner had to know they were damaging the gun. I guess some people just don't care. I know someone that never changed the oil in their car, just added more when it go low.
I have an older brother who felt that way about engine oil. He'd come home from a tour in Vietnam, buy a car and abuse it for about a year, and then go back for another tour. I don't think he ever changed the oil in a car until after his last tour in '69...

It would be nice to think the revolvers might have been used to hammer pins attaching a Wanted poster, but I guess the reality was something far less dramatic,
Brian

We might suggest the "sixguns" were used for pounding in fence staples, but your revolvers date from the time of open range. Furthermore, I am very well acquainted with fence building, and those butts would be showing more damage than they do if they were used for fence staples.

I have heard of cowboys grinding roasted coffee beans between their revolver butt and a flat rock.

A final suggestion... It may be chauvinistic of me to say so, but as one who has been married for forty years, I can tell you the lady of the house tends to reach for whatever is handiest if she needs a tool. If a former owner left his revolver on the dresser, and his better half needed to hang a picture, guess what would be used to drive the nail into the wall...

Notchy Bob

Years ago, I owned one of those new fangled Colt's that gets loaded with em big metal tube things with the powder in em. I think it was made somewhere around 1958 or so. I bought it used and sure enough, some knothead (not me) had used it for a hammer and dinged up the bottom of the grip strap even worse than the one Certus shows up above. I don't know what he was pounding on but he must have been pretty serious about it.

Some people appreciate and care for their stuff. Other's don't.

To the cowboy the revolver was a tool and as such he use it to perform many tasks at hand🤠

When sold new these guns were expensive and some of the finest machinery or tools available at that time. Most likely given more respect than most of us give a gun today. That was a very long time ago. Eventually these all became out dated and more or less obsolete. The 2nd, 3rd or 4th owner is more likely the guy who was a little careless with the small dings and dents. My theory and no better than any other.

Back