• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you think black powder will become scarce?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive about an hour to buy powder and my answer is to keep the amount that I am allowed to have on hand legally at all times. When I use a few pounds I pick more up and rotate my stockpile in which every canister is marked with date purchased. I agree that there are several potential threats to the future of black powder availability, lower number of traditional powder enthusiasts, government regulation regarding sale, possession and storage and a fear and lack of knowledge from individuals from outside of the shooting sports community. I try and share my passion for the hobby with anyone who shows interest. I don't have an answer to all of the issues surrounding shooting sports today but I do know that we have to be a part of a united voice if we want to protect the things we care about.

I think you guys are getting all lathered up for not.

Methinks this is the case too.

i spent a career in US Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal. In the 50s-60s and 70s we rendered safe numerous pipe bombs filled with black powder.

Those bombs presented a glorious opportunity for the feds to outlaw black powder. The fact that black powder was not outlawed speaks volumes. Politicians have larger fish to fry.

People doth worry too much.

Afraid to show your colors?

Quit avoiding and answer the question.

What is your point in saying hazmat fees are levied by private concerns and not government and what that has to do with the scarcity of black powder.

What colors ?
What question?
I posted a source quote to clear up any confusion or misconceptions anyone might have about hazmat fees.

What colors ?
What question?
I posted a source quote to clear up any confusion or misconceptions anyone might have about hazmat fees.

So clear up the confusion then. Why does it matter who imposes shooting sports strangling, adding to the scarcity of black powder, Hazmat fees. Private entities or the government whats the difference?

i spent a career in US Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal. In the 50s-60s and 70s we rendered safe numerous pipe bombs filled with black powder.

Those bombs presented a glorious opportunity for the feds to outlaw black powder. The fact that black powder was not outlawed speaks volumes. Politicians have larger fish to fry.

Agreed! Ever since Black powder was regulate in 1970 it's had a good safety record. The regulation works. Hard to make the argument otherwise.

So clear up the confusion then. Why does it matter who imposes shooting sports strangling, adding to the scarcity of black powder, Hazmat fees. Private entities or the government whats the difference?

I said;

My nephew drives for UPS and there is nothing done different from a Haz-Mat shipping box to a regular box, nothing , not even a special shelf or explosion container on the trucks. The fee is just another way to screw hunters and shooters.
Actually it is just another way of strangling the shooting sports in general in the U.S.
I am asking why that would matter to the scarcity of black powder?

So clear up the confusion ;) .

Where's the connection between the two ?
How does the hazmat fee connect with scarcity ?
I think maybe you are the one who is confused.

Someone said the hazmat fee was something being charged by the government. Carbon 6 explained that the government was not charging the fee. It was being charged by the private companies that deliver the explosive.

That's all there is to it. Please drop the subject.

That's it in a nutshell. :thumb:

"The government does not collect or otherwise receive one cent of the hazmat fee. All of it goes to the company for the purpose of investing in employee training and other measures of improving hazmat safety and compliance."

https://www.hazmatuniversity.com/news/using-hazmat-fees-to-share-costs-with-customers/
https://www.hazmatuniversity.com/courses/49-cfr-dot-shipping-by-ground
If the gov doesn't collect and redistribute the hazmat fees, then who does, the hazmat university?

I appreciate your service sir. Food for thought, but the times are changing all around us, and we need to be acclimated to new trains of thought.

Ive rarely seen the gov not get their cut in any fees dealing with the American public, so I assumed.

What the Government really gets out of it is safety compliance, and that is worth far more than the $25 fee. It benefits all of us, and maintains our sport.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back