• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking for a Neck Knife - Recommendations as to craftsmen?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sartana

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking for a neck knife with the primary purpose being to cut patches at the barrel. My Flintlock is a early 1800's Southern Mountain Rifle from Kibler. Any recommendations as to some quality craftsmen for such a knife? What size knife do you find works best? What style blade? Thanks!

cositrike I have 2 of herschals knives one a neck and one a belt it took me 4 years to get them great knives that are sure to increase in value. As soon as they become advertised they are gone better be fast. And they are not for sale. there is a place in Gettysburg Pa. that usually has a knife or two made by him LORD NELSONS is the name of the place they have a web site.

cositrike I have 2 of herschals knives one a neck and one a belt it took me 4 years to get them great knives that are sure to increase in value. As soon as they become advertised they are gone better be fast. And they are not for sale. there is a place in Gettysburg Pa. that usually has a knife or two made by him LORD NELSONS is the name of the place they have a web site.
Went to Lord Nelsons in ‘89, on my first visit to the US. A friend of mine in Ohio has a knife by Hershal. I doubt I’ll ever be able to afford one, but it’s nice to dream.lol

I'll have to agree with tenngun on this. A lot of people love neck knives, but I'm not one of them. I saw a picture of an Indian wearing a neck knife when I was a kid, maybe 11 or 12 years old. I thought it was cool, and cobbled up a crude neck sheath for a knife I already had. I found it would swing and flop around with movement of the upper body, which was annoying at least and a real hindrance at worst. The other thing is that you may need two hands to draw the knife... One to hold the sheath, and the other to pull the knife out. If the sheath is loose enough for you to just lift the knife out with one hand, retention might be a problem. You need some friction to help retain the knife.

However, to each his own. I know neck knives were used by some eastern Indians, and I think many of the French coureurs d'bois were known to have used them as well.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

One to hold the sheath, and the other to pull the knife out. If the sheath is loose enough for you to just lift the knife out with one hand, retention might be a problem. You need some friction to help retain the knife.

Actually, you lift the knife and sheath by the handle of the knife, grab the sheath with your teeth, and remove the knife. My neck knife sheath is lined with hardened rawhide, almost as durable as plastic. The little skinning knife which it holds, although razor sharp, is not going through the sheath. I have a better chance of slicing open my thumb on the edge of my flint than being hurt with this arrangement.

LD

Actually, you lift the knife and sheath by the handle of the knife, grab the sheath with your teeth, and remove the knife. My neck knife sheath is lined with hardened rawhide, almost as durable as plastic. The little skinning knife which it holds, although razor sharp, is not going through the sheath. I have a better chance of slicing open my thumb on the edge of my flint than being hurt with this arrangement.

LD
Well, that's one way to solve the extraction problem! Might be hard on the quillwork if you have a fancy, decorated sheath, though. Maybe a fringe tassel or "chaw string" mounted on the tip of the sheath would provide something to bite without damaging the quill or beadwork on the body of the sheath.

I think a good sheath is a necessity for any straight bladed knife, and it sounds as if you have a solid, puncture-proof arrangement. Rawhide was the Kydex of the frontier.

However, I just don't like to have any more things flopping around on me than is necessary, and in my limited experience with a neck knife all those years ago, I found it a nuisance. I don't like the belt-mounted "dangler" sheaths that are so popular with the bushcraft crowd these days, either. I much prefer a sheath secured to my belt. Just personal preference, or maybe I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon. To each his own. Those who like neck knives are welcome to them, and I cheerfully acknowledge the historical precedent.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Really think neck knives are a living historian development, It would appear from research and documentation that they were few and far between or perhaps non-existent on the white frontiersmen, although very much in vogue for the indigenous population perhaps the frontiersmen did not favor the neck knife for reasons already mentioned. Just a thought

I have a tiny neck sheathed patch knife. I love it but it is a slow PIA to use. To cut well, i keep it razor sharp, but getting it in & out of the soft buckskin sheath - w/out cutting the shesath or the strap, which loops across the handle to secure it. Eventually, I'll make a hard sheath to ease use. However, I'll probably either put that sheath on the back of my shooting bag or find another, slightly larger patch knife to put there.

I also have a patch knife made of a straight razor. Works great, but has the same problem; it's too sharp to draw or stow without paying careful attention. I've decided that the ideal patch knife should be that sharp, but easily drawn and resheathed, w/out monopolizing my attention.

Personal taste goes a long way. When I was a By God Mountain Man I slapped a lot of things round my neck. Bone chokers, beaded necklaces, medicine bags, gage d’amores. Beads were heavy, bags were always in the way. Every tome you move it flops. Stuffed in your shirt it’s not easily accessible.
That’s me.
Try it you might like it.
If the worse happens and you hate it you can always trade it. So gets you a good one.

Back