• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going from Swiss 2F to 1 1/2F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWarden226

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Been using Swiss 2F in my bench rifle, going to give Swiss 1 1/2F a try. In making this change is there a general rule of thumb on how much I will need to increase the powder charge to get the same velocity? Is this something that is just trial and error.
bob

A measure cut to hold exactly 100 grains of Swiss 1 1/2F by weight holds only 94 grains of Swiss 2F. In .54 and .58 caliber muzzleloaders I built, more than 100 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 will give hard fouling at the breech. I make weight-corrected measures for each powder brand and granulation and weight, and here are the results for a .54 Kit Carson Hawken I made, 100 grains by weight for each measured powder and .530 balls: Olde Eynsford 2F, 1765 fps, 39 spread; OE 1 1/2F, 1784 fps/17; Swiss 2F, 1888/66; Swiss 1 1/2F, 1724/120. I have found Swiss 2F to be a wonderful powder, but Swiss 1 1/2 Is nothing special for me. Here are targets with a Bridger Hawken I built, after fitting a new sight I made.
Bridger2 120 OE 1 and half targets.JPG
. Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F is a much better powder, based on hundreds of targets I have shot and loads chronographed. In fact, I just wore out my Oehler 35P for the second time, have to send it back to be rebuilt. This 120 grain load is just a test of that 1"in 48" twist, I use only 100 grains for deer hunting.

Bob, just give it a try. I went the other way, switched from 1.5 to 2 a few years ago.

We should get together and shoot sometime.

Fleener

Herb
Thanks for the info of your testing. Will probably get back in touch with you on your testing. Have a good ay.
bob

Latest posts

Back