• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.69 cal Cleaning Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Ivory

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Good morning!
I'm having trouble finding a single piece, 44 inch cleaning rod for my Harpers Ferry M1842.

I love Dewey cleaning rods but they're suggesting I use their unit made for 20 gauge.
Well, the conversion shows it's close 20 gauge = .628 caliber. Pretty dang close.
Dixie Gun works only carries then to 33 inches as does Track of the Wolf.

Still, I'd like one with jags, mops and the like to be made for .69 cal.

Any manufacturers producing a good quality rod in 44 inches and mops, jags etc for .69 cal?

Good morning!
I'm having trouble finding a single piece, 44 inch cleaning rod for my Harpers Ferry M1842.

I love Dewey cleaning rods but they're suggesting I use their unit made for 20 gauge.
Well, the conversion shows it's close 20 gauge = .628 caliber. Pretty dang close.
Dixie Gun works only carries then to 33 inches as does Track of the Wolf.

Still, I'd like one with jags, mops and the like to be made for .69 cal.

Any manufacturers producing a good quality rod in 44 inches and mops, jags etc for .69 cal?
Just use any fence post lying around 🤣
Seriously any straight grained hickory will do.
You can get 3/4" X 3" at many lumber yards.
Set your table saw to 3/4" or even 9/16 cut hickory into strips, then with a a scraper round the square cut strips to size.
It is a fun and easy exercise to do.
Fred

Funny you should mention that, I have a piece of chestnut I'm look at for just that purpose.
Might even turn a handle from a scrap of bubinga to add to the rod afterward.

My solution was to take a piece of 3/8" diameter thick walled brass tube and female thread an end for the threads on the butt of the 1842 steel rod and thread the other end for the appurtenances (cleaning jag, etc). That way it is an extension for the military steel rod that is (by design) shorter than what a reasonable person would want to deal with and lets the button end on the steel rod be a gripping handle (the only function that it is really suited to).

Rice Barrels will sell you a 3/8” diameter stainless rod 48” long with a muzzle protector for $20. Something to consider. You provide the jag.
1593571462725.jpeg

1"x1"x48" hickory stick in hand.
I'll rough cut it today then over the weekend start shaping.
Picked up a chunk of ebony to turn a handle from as well.
Shouldn't be be too hard to find a 8/32 threaded piece with anchors to attach for the accessories.
Thanks all for the help!

What fits depends upon your piece but I've found that thick walled 3/8" outside diameter brass tubing to work very well as its bore can be easily threaded to fit jags. It is of course almost a solid bar so adds weight (a good thing or a bad thing).

These guys in Houston are where I used to go.
http://morrismetals.com/Brochure.pdf

Back