• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does Black Powder Make Smoke?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
50055571616_d8f0a8d753_b.jpg

😄 Perhaps I should have titled this thread "How Much Smoke Can You Make With Black Powder".

Check out the swab in the lower left of the picture.

What seems like steam in most cases it is coarse powder igniting after leaving the muzzle it also happens on big bore shoulder guns when using a coarse powder
Feltwad

Smoke from a small flintlock punt gun
100_2734.JPG

Last edited:

I'm not certain that you are asking a serious question? Have you ever watched movie about the WoNA? Either 'Gettysburg' or 'G'*d and the Generals' - indeed ANY recreation of mass shooting during the era of black powder?

If so, then you really ought not to be asking your question.

Found a bunch of images showing how this huge gun was loaded by hand!! No machinery seems to have been used - see

It was all 'mandraulic'.

Apologies for showing a b*e*c*-loader.

To see how a real muzzleloader coastal gun operated, this excellent graphic video show the guns of Fort Rinella, Malta - the 100 ton Armstrong guns.

Details - The Armstrong 100 ton Rifled Muzzle Loaded (RML) gun at Fort Rinella, Malta. 17.72 inch calibre, firing a 2,000 lb shell, Main charge weight - 450 lbs of prismatic black powder (gunpowder). Muzzle velocity 1,550 feet per second. Range 6-7 miles. Firing rate 1 round every 6 minutes. The Fort used Watkins Depression Range Finder and Position Finder for fire control. Based on original drawings and original operarting manuals.

Edit - I'm trying to figure out just how I managed to post images there - never done it before!!! I just copied the URL and stuck it in!! Amazing!!

I'm not certain that you are asking a serious question? Have you ever watched movie about the WoNA? Either 'Gettysburg' or 'G'*d and the Generals' - indeed ANY recreation of mass shooting during the era of black powder?

If so, then you really ought not to be asking your question.
No, no, and no.

Back