• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hard frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy a new Lyman frizzen for $25-30

I don't think the frizzen is the problem, I think the flint is too big and is smashing into the frizzen and breaking. Or it isn't set in the jaws correctly.

Have you talked or written to Lyman?

Do you have side view of the lock while holding a flint with the frizzen down and the lock at halfcock?
I had an issue with a Lyman percussion lock about a year ago on a new rifle. The tumbler broke after about the 20th round. I called Lyman and they told me contact Dixon muzzleloading for warranty work. I sent Dixon’s the lock and they sent me a brand new lock right back within a few days.

was going to buy a new one will it be any better??? i got the lock all apart.. went off every time with this flint...

Attachments

• 20200622_192250.jpg
    20200622_192250.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 128
was going to buy a new one will it be any better??? i got the lock all apart.. went off every time with this flint...
Then I’d stick with those agate flints. I’ve never had any luck with them. That one already looks beat all to hell. How many rounds? I wouldn’t buy anything. Call Dixon’s and see what they say. Let them replace or fix it if there is a problem.

Lyman has a reputation for a pretty good heat treat on their frizzens. Doubt it’s soft, but if it is they would replace it.

Why are you using washers in your setup? Agate flint in your photograph doesn’t look like it’s held correctly or the wrong size. Would still like to see a photograph of your lock from the side at halfcock, flint in place, and the frizzen down. Someone may notice something. Something like this photo of a Lyman lock with the Lyman factory agate flint in it.
1592872742842.jpeg

Do a search on hardening and carbon-packing frizzens here. Dave Person has written volumes on the subject here. You want gobs of yellow-orange sparks landing right int he middle of the pan. Dave can get a frizzen to spark using a crayon as a flint.

Does this "Dave" do this for fellow forum members?

I was breaking flints after only a few shots too with my Lyman because I thought beveled edge up was a better angle. Haven’t had a problem since I flipped it over bevel down.

Apparently every Lyman is different. My deer hunter likes the Flint upside down. To keep from having to use cut flints, I made an 8th inch steel plate that fits underneath of the Flint so that it elevates the Flint about that much and I can put it in bevel side down so I can use English flints. My frizzen seemed hard enough, and after I reface it, I case harden it, by of cours,e heating it up cherry red, case hardening it, and then quenching. I just use plain water and don't draw any temper back out. Perhaps it only works for me, but it works. I've used agate flints, but the cost didn't seem to justify continuing. Cheap English flints seem to work okay, I do have to re-Knapp the edge every so often with my brass hammer, and I think the only cure would probably be a good American-made lock.
Squint

might found out why the jaw screw is hitting the stock... notice how then this flint is ...

Attachments

• 20200623_200042.jpg
    20200623_200042.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 122
That's an easy one to miss, as is the leather on the top edge of the flint. I need to trim mine all the way back to the edge of the top jaw to keep it from nudging the frizzen as the flint is working its' way down there.. It's not an issue with a fresh flint, but as the flint wears and gets shorter, the leather can get in the way.

Latest posts

Back