• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What model of TC is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I see my friend are the following:

1. Renegade stock, cut and fitted with rubber butt plate, with bad refinish.

2. TC Pennsylvania barrel, depending on length? 32” or carbine length-26” White Mountain or New Englander.

3. Thimbles are TC. Probably stripped which would explain the soldering to barrel rib.

4. Lock is TC Hawken, Renegade,, New Englander, etc. Not Cherokee or Senica.

5. Front sight is old style TC partridge blade style that is poorly fitted.

6. Rear sight is old style TC that would be found on pre warning barrels.

In conclusion? It’s definitely a miss match of parts, or should I say a “Frankenstein build“.

Not gonna say what you should my friend? As for me?? I’d pass. There’s better out there that isn’t hard to find.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
Hi. Im looking at a Thompson Center .50 percussion rifle for sale that appears to have an octagonal barrel that changes to round past the nose of stock. I think its a High Plains Sporter but have never seen a barrel like that. Not much other info. The seller wants around $275 for it. Its a bit of a blister with that ugly red looking paint finish. I'm thinking more along the lines of $175 and a refinish. It looks like the ramrod thimbles are soldered on. Thanks for any info.
View attachment 34749View attachment 34743
It’s a TC Renegade stock assembly with a poorly fitted recoil pad. Stock doesn’t look cut. Renegades had a pretty short trigger pull. May be the reason for the pad. TC used a dark reddish close grained walnut and some years had a heavy gobbed on finish. That’s all this looks like to me. the Pennsylvania Hunter is the only 1/2 round TC factory barrel long enough for two thimbles. If that’s case, they’ve put a 15/16ths barrel in a one inch stock. A more likely scenario is they had the Renegade barrel turned which did away with the holes for the thimble screws hence the gob job on those. As is and with no other surprises it don’t look in that bad condition but, I still wouldn’t go over 150 or 175 for it.

That is a renegade stock, lock, and trigger setup. The color is not original. The butt pad probably came from an old shotgun. Looks to me like somebody had the stock, a barrel, some thimbles, and a butt pad and said, "I think I can make this thing shoot"!. The horrible solder work alone would make me turn and walk away.

Last edited:
One more reply, TC made an octagon to round barrel for some of the Pennsylvania Hunter guns and also did make a high plains gun. The one I saw had an all round barrel, as did any new Englander I've seen. The rubber butt pad is someone's screw up.

To me nothing says T/C except the hammer, trigger guard and lock. Appears to a hodge podge of stuff, thimbles, recoil pad, funny looking ramrod. .

What ever you may pay, it will hard t re-coup your money.
YOU WOULD HAVE TO PAY ME TO TAKE THAT "THING"

It is a Frankengun but if it was cheap enough I’d haul it home to play with, but then I’ve always liked mongrel dogs and even enjoy looking at the present day rat rods that aren’t HC.

Back