• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making Paper Cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have tried newsprint as a paper for making paper cartridges but have found it tears easily. What have you found to be the best paper for making paper cartridges? I want to make cartridges for my Brown Bess. Thanks.

I have tried newsprint as a paper for making paper cartridges but have found it tears easily. What have you found to be the best paper for making paper cartridges? I want to make cartridges for my Brown Bess. Thanks.
Cigarette papers.

Cigarette papers.

Yes those work for revolvers, quite well, but are not big enough nor solid enough for smoothbore cartridges. ;)

What have you found to be the best paper for making paper cartridges? I want to make cartridges for my Brown Bess. Thanks.

So you go to the Dollar Store/Dollar General, OR you go to library if it sells off books from time to time...,
And you find a book for sale for a dollar, with pages large enough to cut for at least one cartridge per leaf, but some books you can get two made from each leaf of paper in the book. Tear out the paper, cut, and roll. Book paper is a a bit better than newsprint, though I've not had trouble with newsprint..., I just don't like buying papers written by folks who write fiction for the masses, and call it "truth"...ooops don't want to hijack a thread....

So get a book or two. Avoid very glossy paper too.

LD

Yes those work for revolvers, quite well, but are not big enough nor solid enough for smoothbore cartridges. ;)

So you go to the Dollar Store/Dollar General, OR you go to library if it sells off books from time to time...,
And you find a book for sale for a dollar, with pages large enough to cut for at least one cartridge per leaf, but some books you can get two made from each leaf of paper in the book. Tear out the paper, cut, and roll. Book paper is a a bit better than newsprint, though I've not had trouble with newsprint..., I just don't like buying papers written by folks who write fiction for the masses, and call it "truth"...ooops don't want to hijack a thread....

So get a book or two. Avoid very glossy paper too.

LD
Oops, missed brown bess. Thanks for the rescue.

I have used graphite tracing paper from Hobby Lobby. Little pricey but works fine, leaves very little junk in the chambers. If you use too much glue on the spark end, it will leave a ring of paper. I have reloaded that way ( nothing gets by me), and had no problem. It doesn’t seem to smolder like some,

There are a lot of good suggestions here, and plenty of things to try. Lots of ways to skin this particular cat! You'll want to find what works best for you.

Here is what has worked best for me:

If you can go to an art supplies store, ask for a pad of artist's newsprint. It's like the paper newspapers are printed on, but a little thicker, and, of course, there is no printing on it. I've made paper cartridges out of it for my fowler and for my muskets, and it works well. It is stronger than newspaper, but easier to tear off than typing or printer paper. I've never tried pages from a book.

Bear in mind also that paper has a "grain." Almost any paper, including artist's newsprint, will tear in a nearly straight line in one direction, but it tears at an angle and you end up ripping off little bits and pieces if you tear it the other way. If you're making paper cartridges, you probably have a trapezoid-shaped pattern that you use for making the cartridge papers. Experiment with it a little, and figure out which way to orient your pattern so you'll end up tearing straight across the cartridge when you bite off the tail. You may waste a little paper, but the results may be worth it. This will make the cartridges easier to bite off, easier to manipulate once opened, and less likely to spill powder if it doesn't rip down the side.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I too use book pages but I use cheap pre 1850 (usually turgid religious works) as they are rag paper (pre wood pulp paper) and the sizing has perished so are soft and choke without tearing or crinkling.

Are you supposed to nitrate the paper so as to create a type of flash paper in order to help the paper to be throughly consumed upon firing.
No. The ball is inside the paper and the whole thing is run down the bore once the powder s emptied into the barrel. Two sharp raps of the rod will form the paper into a crude sabot/wad and the whole thing will be expelled when it is fired. The ball flies free of the paper even though the paper is choked over the ball.

I have tried many different papers, but based on someone else's recommendation, I bought some brown masking paper at Home Depot and it is the absolute best I have used for making musket cartridges or for Civil War miniball cartridges.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TRIMACO...General-Purpose-Masking-Paper-12906/202040753

A miniball cartridge made from the brown masking paper.

IMG_20200622_102421.jpg

I have always just nabbed a few sheets of 8 1/2 x 11" out of the computer printer. Fold in half lengthwise; cut along crease. Take each stack of long strips and fold at a 45 angle in the middle to make an equal-leg L. Cut along the angled crease and you have four cartridges per sheet with a nice angled tail for rolling.

Back