• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's see your Belt or Rifleman's knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such great knives, I've managed to collect a dozen or so but only two might be considered HC. I love my Jeff White knife and regularly use it to cut patches at the muzzle. Easy to hone, resharpen and maintain too. My intimidation knife is made a file and while the maple wood scales provide a good grip, the length of the blade is too much to be of much use around camp. The spine throws a good deal of sparks when struck with a good size flint though and would no doubt immediately adjust the attitude of whomevero

Here are a couple pics of my favorite Jeff White knife (Bush HD) from a hike yesterday.

Clark Fork high Knife and Hawk Mill Creek 066.JPG

Clark Fork high Knife and Hawk Mill Creek 116.JPG

My primary interest is 18th century and I am most familiar with the Anglo-made material history (French trade knives are another subject). The relatively small number of individuals (in comparison to the overall population) who would have carried a knife on a belt would be using cheap Sheffield (or Sheffield knock-off) butcher/trade or "scalping knives" (used in the period as a marketing term for common butcher knives). These were cheap and perfect for their intended uses. The English knives were half-tang, usually three pinned and handled in exotic hardwood, and had cutlers resin filling gaps between the tang and handle. They are common in the archeological record, were imported by the thousands with and without sheaths, and were used by Natives and Europeans alike. These two repros were made by Ken Hamilton.
DSC01874.jpg

Here are some originals:
knife 3.jpg
excavated knife 2.jpgexcavated knife.jpg

I found this old blade in the barn when grandmaw and grandpaw sold the farm in 1964. I believe about 4 or 5 inches of the tip end were broken off and grandpaw repurposed it and used it for his hog and beef butchering knife. Had no handle. Other day I cut off about 2" of the handle end and stuck a piece of broke hatchet handle on it with a couple of iron pins.

Made an inside the belt sheath for it. Used it other day when old son, his father in law, and I butchered a 750 lb steer. Worked great!

Latest posts

Back