• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need help on musket identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haj19

32 Cal
Reaction score
I acquired this musket from my cousin a few years ago and never really found out what type it is. Even though my dad used to build muzzleloaders years ago I don't really know much about them or muskets. So, hopefully someone on here can help me out with identification and value. Thanks
IMG_20200619_165823691.jpg
IMG_20200619_165740108.jpg
IMG_20200619_165731715.jpg
IMG_20200619_165713381.jpg
IMG_20200619_165648533.jpg

London Arms Company Enfield in 24 gauge or should I say 58 calibre if the stamps are to be believed
Cant say if genuine or replica but looks genuine enough.
The metal finish does not seem right.
I think the originals were blued and color case hardened.
Wood like to be in excellent condition.
Enfields were used by both sides in your civil war so maybe the C.S Tn and 14 are indicating the 14th Tennessee.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will pipe up

May be original , but I’m leaning towards a defarbed and re marked reproduction. Everything except the but plate, looks too clean. The lock plate has the crown on it but no V.R underneath. Normally a government arm mark, but I understand that all LA co 1853’s were so marked. I also understand that Pedersoli made a repro lockplate and this may be one of those, as the Lettering doesn’t appear to be quite right. Also I believe 1853s were marked 25 for 0.577” not 24 .

Last edited:
Having now studied some photos of original LACo locks and barrel markings and read a little of the LACo pattern 1853 history, I’m convinced that this is a reproduction which has been antiqued. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but I don’t think I will be.

@cositrike is correct. This is a defarbed reproduction P1853 Rifle-Musket. There are some issues with the authenticity of the work, but I don't think that it would deter most reenactors from wanting the gun.

I really appreciate all the responses and info on this. I was thinking it might be a reproduction with as good of condition it was in. Now at least I know what I have. Thanks again

Again, I really appreciate all the help on this. I will probably let this one go and only keep the ones my dad built, so I was wondering if anyone would know a value for something like this. Thanks

Back