• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Timing issue?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sine_Timore

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is this a timing issue? On full cock the cylinder lines up perfectly. But, on half cock the cylinder never lines up with the notch and when I lay the hammer down I have to rotate the cylinder into place. I have not fired this gun yet by the way. I've had it apart for cleaning but that is all. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 20200617_181409.jpg
    20200617_181409.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200617_181422.jpg
    20200617_181422.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200617_181430.jpg
    20200617_181430.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200617_181528.jpg
    20200617_181528.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 62
When the hammer is raised only to the half cock position, the cylinder bolt lock is not engaged with the cylinder. This allows the cylinder to be turned for loading and usually, the chambers in the cylinder are not lined up with the barrel.

The only time the cylinder lock bolt fully engages the notch in the cylinder to align the chamber with the barrel is when the hammer is raised higher than the half cock position. By the time the hammer reaches the full cock position, the cylinder lock bolt should be fully engaged with the cylinder notch and the cylinder will not rotate.
This engagement of the locking bolt with the cylinder is maintained as the hammer falls from its full cock position to the fired position keeping the chamber and the barrel aligned.

In other words, your gun is working just like it is supposed to work. :)

When the hammer is raised only to the half cock position, the cylinder bolt lock is not engaged with the cylinder. This allows the cylinder to be turned for loading and usually, the chambers in the cylinder are not lined up with the barrel.

The only time the cylinder lock bolt fully engages the notch in the cylinder to align the chamber with the barrel is when the hammer is raised higher than the half cock position. By the time the hammer reaches the full cock position, the cylinder lock bolt should be fully engaged with the cylinder notch and the cylinder will not rotate.
This engagement of the locking bolt with the cylinder is maintained as the hammer falls from its full cock position to the fired position keeping the chamber and the barrel aligned.

In other words, your gun is working just like it is supposed to work. :)
Awesome! Thank you for that information.

Simply put: at half-cock the cylinder moves only halfway to the next chamber. We take advantage of this when prying the barrel off the frame via the loading rammer

At half cock the cylinder moves half way to the next chamber and the bolt drops. That way we can easily remove the barrel and cylinder for cleaning. When the revolver is at half cock and the bolt is not engaged, we can rotate the cylinder for ease of reloading.

Back