• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Daniel Boone Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read he used hounds for bear hunting which means he had close easy shots with the bear treed.

Wait! Maybe that was Crockett. I mix up them two.

For interesting reading on early bear hunting, read "Forty-Four Years of The Life of the Hunter" by Meshack Browning. The "Daniel Boone" of Maryland.

No real telling what flintlock caliber Dan'l mostly carried. And he probably had various sizes in different rifles he owned. I've read that journals of that time period didn't use "caliber" to describe a rifle, but based the spec on "number of balls to the pound." In another text on Boone, the author said Boone preferred a .44 cal, and Art Caputo mentioned that Pennsylvania rifle above. So as an example, that would be "(.445) 133g or approx 52 balls/pound." Accurate history is really a great hunt. ~wiksmo

I have occasionally heard that "Tick Licker" was a 62. If the description really meant gauge, that would be a 0.42" caliber rifle. In my opinion, a far better caliber choice for accuracy. It would be difficult to believe that a 0.620" caliber (smooth?) rifle or smooth bore would have been capable of knocking a tick off a deer's back intending to leave the deer unscathed.

I remember the "D Boon cilled a bar..." thing in history books in the 1960's about him, but now I wonder if the books didn't lift it from the movie too.

While a student in Iowa, I visited the Iowa State Museum in Des Moines. There, in a glass case, was one of Mr Boone’s personal rifles. It was .48 cal.
The description cautioned that it may have been ‘freshed out’ at some time in its busy career. It was a rather slender looking half stock, flint, maple stock, very little bling as I recall. It may be historical or maybe only the building was historical; can’t say.

he also did not wear a coon skin cap. they did a painting once of him and they handed him a coon skin cap to pose with. from what I read that is how that started, it was said he had no use for one. they said he wore a felt or beaver hat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back