• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The 1-38 twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have an unmentionable,in 50 caliber, with a 1-38 and a FINE old aperture sight.
I bought a Lyman Plains mold. It drops a very nice 400 grain soup can.
T'uther day I poured 70 grains of 3f Swiss put in a .54/.56 cal Ox Yoke wad and the afore mentioned soup can, lubed with SPG.
She went down with just a touch of help on the rammer.
That's 10 shots at 50 yards. The high shot was called. The lady next to my shot 1/2 way through my squeeze...
Cast of pure lead, it left none in the bore. Not even a flake or shiny spot on the between shot patch.
Never thought much of the 1-38.
Until I got one! If I ever need a barrel for anything other than ball, in .50 caliber, I will have no other.
Thought I'd pass it on in case anyone was thinking on a conical barrel an wondering which twist to try.

Attachments

• 15921050273001859661987.jpg
    15921050273001859661987.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 54
It's an unusual twist, but clearly works with your loads. Who made the barrel? Length?

T/C made some rifles that came in either a 1-20 or 1-38 twist. I got the former and wish I had the later. Saying that though is shoots well and even with RBs with light loads.

if yopu have a 1/38 twist rifle in 50 cal try a 350 to 400 grain bullet resized and paperpatched with a 60 thousands wad behind the bullet. with that twist and bullets of the weight i suggested you could have a accurate rifle out to 800 to a 1000 yards with the right sights. keep it and learn to use it. it also will shoot a sabot with a 250 grain 45 cal bullet like a house afire. i would much rather have a 1/38 twist than a 1/28 twist 50 cal rifle. so much more you can shoot in that barrel

I'm closing this thread because as our members should know, we don't discuss in-line guns or sabot's.

The only reason I'm leaving it here is because someone in the future may wonder about the 1 in 38 twist the barrel has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back