• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SAFETY RECALL on Field & Stream safety ropes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is not muzzleloader-specific, but I also know that the #1 reason for injuries during hunting these days is from guys falling out of trees, so I'd rather post something that may save a life here.

I received an email from Dick's Sporting Goods that there is a recall being issued for their 30' tree climbing safety lines, and the shorter Lineman rope that you just loop around the tree. If you purchased a Field & Stream 30' Lifeline (1-pack or 3-pack), or the Field & Stream 8' Treestand Linesman Rope, these have been recalled and they are offering a store credit if you can't find the receipt, or a refund if you can.

For those of you who have purchased this safety equipment at Dick's, you may want to see if you can get a credit or refund, and you definitely want to stop using them as a safety line.

Per their website:
Hazard: The ropes can fail when used in freezing conditions, posing a fall hazard.
Remedy: Stop using the safety rope immediately and contact DICK’S for a refund with receipt or store credit without receipt.

As one to did a half gainer from a tree stand years ago with disastrous results (broken back and wrist) I highly recommend following up on this recall. I have lifelines on all my stands now, I buy mine from a place that uses extra thick climbing rope, about $30 each.

Guys--I know a lot of us, myself included, no loner shop at Dicks, and some have very strong feelings about it. I understand.

Still... if you bought one of these safety items or received one as a gift as I did a few years ago and you don't bother to follow up with them about the recall out of stubbornness or dislike for the company, then you're putting yourself at risk, and by association, those who depend on you.

My intent in sharing this safety/recall information is to avoid loosing even one more hunter to treestand falls. Falling out of trees is the NUMBER 1 safety concern nowadays. We don't shoot ourselves in the foot all that often. We rarely shoot another hunter now that blaze-orange laws have been adopted. We sometimes cut ourselves with our hunting knives and that's a common reason for a trip to the ER... But we fall out of trees a lot, and the consequences can be devastating. It's the biggest danger in the woods for hunters who hunt from elevation.

Everyone has the right to free speech, and I guess if guys keep hitting this thread to say how much they hate Dick's, if nothing else, that'll keep the tread popping up as "new" for those who haven't read it yet! Cool!!

Meanwhile, please appreciate my original intent, and please pass this info on to other hunter buddies that may not know about the recall. We can hate Dick's until we're all dead.. I'm just trying to extend the length of time between now and then!

:)

As one to did a half gainer from a tree stand years ago with disastrous results (broken back and wrist) I highly recommend following up on this recall. I have lifelines on all my stands now, I buy mine from a place that uses extra thick climbing rope, about $30 each.
I'd like to know your source Eric, if you could share it here? I'll be replacing at least a couple of safety lines...

I searched with every keyword and couldn't find the place I bought my lifelines. They did send me an email every so often to see if I needed any more but I haven't heard from them lately. Perhaps the company name will pop into my head at a later date.

I searched with every keyword and couldn't find the place I bought my lifelines. They did send me an email every so often to see if I needed any more but I haven't heard from them lately. Perhaps the company name will pop into my head at a later date.
Gotcha, and much appreciated.
I have one made by HSS that I’ll install on one of the ladder stands that we have up, and I’ve replaced my tree strap already. We have 4-5 other ladder or strap on stands that’ll need new safety lines, so let me know if you find your source. Stay safe!

Hunter Safety System Reflective Treestand Lifeline
by Hunter Safety System

That is what I have. I bought several of these in 2018 for all my elevated stands. I really like them. Seem to be of high quality. They even have reflective material in the rope, so if you hit it with a flash light, very easy to see and find.

My son and his buddies hunt out of trees on our farm.

I have never had to see if they actual work however. Knock on wood.

Fleener

Hunter Safety System Reflective Treestand Lifeline
by Hunter Safety System

That is what I have. I bought several of these in 2018 for all my elevated stands. I really like them. Seem to be of high quality. They even have reflective material in the rope, so if you hit it with a flash light, very easy to see and find.

My son and his buddies hunt out of trees on our farm.

I have never had to see if they actual work however. Knock on wood.

Fleener
Thanks for this. I have one of these ready to install, and will grab a few more. Didn’t know that the rope was reflective...bonus!

Back