• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stovepipe699

32 Cal
Reaction score
Where do you buy your patch material, and what kind do you prefer? I’m looking at buying some cotton ticking from a fabric store, is there a lot of variation in the thickness?

#40 Cotton Drill cloth found in the Utility cloth section at JoAnn's Fabrics. It will measure 0.017 or 0.018" thick after washing the sizing out.

The linen from 100% flax may be a little bit thin. The pillow ticking (cotton) is generally around 0.015", then there's the mattress ticking, denims and canvas.

Much depends on ball size and how tight you want to be loading.

There are some variations especially with different manufacturers. Pillow seems to be traditional but you don't have to go that route unless you want to. Stay away form synthetics and go with a natural fiber. 100% cotton or linen is probably best.

Where do you buy your patch material, and what kind do you prefer? I’m looking at buying some cotton ticking from a fabric store, is there a lot of variation in the thickness?

Good morning. I just purchased 3 days ago, a running yard of pillow ticking at Walmart that's 45 inches wide for $5.97. I took my calipers with me to measure the sickness before I purchased. It seems to be the same stuff that I used to buy from Cabela's, that I no longer can find. After washing and ironing, it measures, compress fairly hard with my dial calipers, .020. I haven't cut anything yet and might not even need it this year but it seems like a good buy. The drawback was it come from China which I wish didn't
squint.

i use medium weight tight weave pure linen, available from the internet. its the best patching material made. wont tear, wont burn and if you find them the patches can be relubed and used again. ive heard tight weave hemp cloth is even better but dont know where to get it.

Back