• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 and greetings!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow flint-er enthusiasts, this is my first post though I'm a long time shooter and long time lurker of TMF !
Having moved from CA to MA over the past few years I'm re-engaging my interest in and passion for flintlock rifles. I just today received a very nice Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 Cal. w/ a 32"bbl. It arrived with a couple relatively minor issues which I would very much appreciate getting some help and feedback with;

- as you can see in the pics below the ramrod is about 7.5-8" too long, obviously not original to this rifle. It appears to be nice aged hickory but it doesn't fit. the O/A length is 40.5". Would you trim this ramrod to proper length ? Or simply try to find another in similar cosmetic condition to fit the rifle ? Where would you look for msuch a ramrod ?

- the fit of one of the two rifle stock securing pins is very loose- should I do something to tighten the fit ? Replace ?

Thanks in adavance for any replies, I feel like a kid on Christmas and am very excited to try this one out !

n8lYLRD.jpg

S5pqqKOh.jpg

bNBLGF2h.jpg

6vvQLZMh.jpg

Cut off the ramrod, or make a replacement. I prefer one with an epoxied AND pinned threaded end for jags, ball, pullers, etc. As for the loose wedge, set it in your vise and put a very slight bend in about the middle. Try for fit. If still loose, try a bit more bend. If too tight, flatten it a bit and retry. I am sure there will be other suggestions, but this is how I have handled these issues in the past. More than one way to skin a cat though.

Adding a cap to except a jag and other things is highly recommended. The pinning of it to the rod is critical ( many threads on tips coming off in the barrel can be found) then trim to length.
I prefer to gently bend the barrel loup to get the wedge (pin) to fit firmly. Make it just tight enough that you can press them in by strong hand pressure.

Thanks for reply, have already trimmed the rod to correct length, also a little tapping on the wedge proved it plenty tight enough. I also ordered a correct replacement rod from October, along with some French black flints.

Most likely, the flints from France would be amber in color but that's what October Country has listed along with the French Amber. English flints were mostly black.

It is interesting in that the chalk deposits in England do match up with chalk deposits in France. so the black flint is not a geological anomaly. Flint nodules are found in the chalk deposits.

buy a range rod. make a nice case for it use that and only use the ramrod under the barrel for decoration. make tough range rod longer than need by a little bit and quite stout. make sure your flash hole is of proper size for instant ignition. many here can help you with that. enjoy your gun. 100 grains behind a well patched 54 bullet will give you what you want.

Thanks Cattman and I agree 100%. The problem is there are SO many makers/ brands that it's a bit overwhelming. I want a ridged, heavy aluminum or whatever they make the metal ones out of with a substantial T-handle on the other end.
Any consensus about who makes that one ?

buy a range rod. make a nice case for it use that and only use the ramrod under the barrel for decoration. make tough range rod longer than need by a little bit and quite stout. make sure your flash hole is of proper size for instant ignition. many here can help you with that. enjoy your gun. 100 grains behind a well patched 54 bullet will give you what you want.

Wood for show, Delrin to go (hunting), heavy metal for target range.
I use a heavy brass range rod from TOTW, works great.
Down side of brass is exposure to sulphur does quickly tarnish the brass.
The Delrin Rods can have a 10-32 threaded fittings on both ends to screw on jags and T-Handle when required.

ive made every one of my own range rods. either out of heavy brass rod or heavy aluminum rod. i go to the lumber yards and get a round wooden ball, they all have them and drill the proper hole in them. put a good glue in the hole and tap the top end of the rod in the hole. as to the other end, get a friend with a lathe to drill the proper hole in the bottom to accept a jag. or soft solder one on or 700 degree silver solder one on. 700 degree silver solder is available from brownells. buld your own range rods. make a quiver case for it. strap it onto your back when hunting. ,only use the one on the gun for looks. YOU WILL BE HAPPY. p.s. you can only solder brass( i think) not aluminum(i think).

A few additional pics;
3W9IMVJh.jpg
That looks like a L&R RPL lock. Much better sparker than factory Lyman lock. It may spoil you as far as what to expect from ‘factory’ flintlocks.

You may want to look at Rice Barrel’s stainless range rods. Hard to beat for $20. Has a round plastic handle, about 1-1/2” diameter or so, and a muzzle guard, as most range rods come with, or should come with. Do not suggest one with a rotating handle. Nice, until you try to use a ball puller. Also, with the Rice (and many others), you can drill and tap a piece of round stock if you really want a T handle.

Ramrod material can be a controversial topic. Wood is great, until one splits and impales your hand. May never happen, but if it does, it will be in a land far far away..... Some folks claim if you get the right piece hickory it will never break. My opinion only, but for hunting, I prefer a synthetic ram rod. I know of at least two hunters who broke their wood ram rod on a quick reload attempt after shooting a deer. One got a nice hole in his hand. The other had to get help loading his gun for a follow up shot, and ultimately lost the deer. For display, you can leave the wood rod in place, and only hunt with the synthetic one. Lot of opinions on this one.

Back