• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading Puntguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would like to know if any members know anything about Puntguns building.

A machinist friend took a 5.5' piece of seamless thick walled tubing and turned a slight taper on it with his lathe. Then he machined a 4140 breech plug/patent breech and threaded it into the breech of the tubing. The tubing wall thickness was just over 1/4" at the breech with a bore just over 1 inch, which he called a 4 guage. Fired with (IIRC) 450gr 2f and a hand full of buckshot and wads, it decimated a small cedar tree. Kind of like a swivel cannon on steroids. Please understand my friend was educated in metallurgy and knew what he was doing. I cannot begin to be sure exactly what the metals were, their strength, etc, and I heard my friend passed a year or so ago. The test firing was impressive. Said he wanted to mount it on a pirogue just for fun...

The gun in the video is a small wall or bank gun a punt gun is a lot larger and has a longer barrel and a bigger bore size
Feltwad

1591638614733.png

is there another name in the UK when a guy is called a PUNTER? is he a guy that shoots a PUNT GUN? just curious?

I am trying to find for fun shooting..Since we can’t wildfowl them here..Also two things first Alan Mayer who pass away I just wondering what happen to all supplies and actions?Second what is a good Wildfowlers forum?I would like to find a used puntgun..I hope to read your reply..

For wildfowling I would say the best organisation for information to the sport is BASC just google them and they should be able to point you in the right direction
Feltwad

Not very sporting, is it? I could be missing something: not unusual.
Punt guns here in the UK have been around from match lock days , during the percussion period they were known has tools of the trade of which people made a living from them and what they did not use for themselves the surplus was sold in the big city markets. No it was not sporting they shot anything from whoopie swans to starlings in the reed beds on inland waters .When you read the documentary's on these fowlers there were more nothing days that large bags it was a hard life.
Feltwad

remember the last, CURLOU, I think that is how it is spelled and also the now gone passenger pigeon? to name a few.we all have to thank the boys with there big PUNT GUNS! nothing is forever!

Maryland's eastern shore has a rich history of the market gunners back in the long gone days punt guns were extensively used as the prior photo in this thread shows. Used at night with lantern lighting slowly drift near a flock of sitting ducks shown in the dim light of the lantern by the light and set off the gun. They would kill hundreds of ducks at a time this way. There is a water fowlers museum in St. Michaels Maryland that has a few of these guns and other late water fowling weapons and equipage. Toot I doubt that punt guns were deployed much if at all against the passenger pigeon as these guns were very large and best suited mounted to the bow of a small boat from what I have read and seen at least for Maryland strictly a waterfowl weapon. Also on the Outer Banks near Corolla there is a mansion called Whale Head it was originally a hunting lodge for water fowl it also has a nice display.

Punt guns here in the UK have been around from match lock days , during the percussion period they were known has tools of the trade of which people made a living from them and what they did not use for themselves the surplus was sold in the big city markets. No it was not sporting they shot anything from whoopie swans to starlings in the reed beds on inland waters .When you read the documentary's on these fowlers there were more nothing days that large bags it was a hard life.
Feltwad
Got it. Thanks

Back