• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Greetings from Austria

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spider67

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi Ladies and gentlemen,

I am Des from Austria and I am a collector (mainly service rifles and bladed weapons)...who always wanted to shoot muzzleloaders one day.
Why do I collect arms? As those are among the things that very often tell a story, often an intersting one at that.
As original musszleloaders are very exepnsive I though I could never afford a nice piece....But a collector is always on the hunt and finally my dreams came true!
A Deprez double action percussion revolver and a Turkish flintlock pistol....as I had questions i searched the web and found you!
So thanks for having me!
Regards from Vienna
Des

Welcome aboard. There are a lot of folks here with a lot of knowledge.

I'll have to day on this one I learned from you, as although I am a percussion revolver fan, I knew little of the Deprez and you prompted me to do some research. Thanks.

Welcome aboard. There are a lot of folks here with a lot of knowledge.

I'll have to day on this one I learned from you, as although I am a percussion revolver fan, I knew little of the Deprez and you prompted me to do some research. Thanks.
It's starnge isn't it.....the model I have looked at first glance like a LeMat, especially the trigger guard and the grip......Imagine how difficult itwas to find something about it 16 years ago.....

Thank you all for your warm welcome!
Revolver_Deprez.jpg
Ottoman Flintlock(0).jpg

.....Those are the pieces I talked about....why just describing them? So I took some quick snaps with my cell phone.
Cheers!

So hows the availability of black power over there and do the German laws affect muzzle loaders?
It's a lot easier in Austria to store and buy blackpowder than in Germany. Single shot (manufactured now) flintlock, and percussion pistols are free to buy. So are rifles.....but for revolvers you need a license...Generally everything built before 1871 is free to buy.
The Problem with muzzle loaders is to find a range that will accept you.......

Hi Ladies and gentlemen,

I am Des from Austria and I am a collector (mainly service rifles and bladed weapons)...who always wanted to shoot muzzleloaders one day.
Why do I collect arms? As those are among the things that very often tell a story, often an intersting one at that.
As original musszleloaders are very exepnsive I though I could never afford a nice piece....But a collector is always on the hunt and finally my dreams came true!
A Deprez double action percussion revolver and a Turkish flintlock pistol....as I had questions i searched the web and found you!
So thanks for having me!
Regards from Vienna
Des

Hi Des, welcome from Idaho !
I collect & shoot mostly European firearms but am not familiar with the revolver you acquired, nice find ! Looks to be very well designed & hopefully will make you a good shooter if cylinder & barrel is in good shape. Good luck finding a good place to shoot & please let us/me know how it performs at the range. If the nipples need replacing & can't find replacements locally some of us on the forum can likely help you.
I have an original Austrian Jeager in .60 cal. that was perhaps made near you. The lock is marked I. HEINISH in SCHWERIN & ad/w, it is inscribed the same in platinum on the top barrel flat & the thumb-plate is inscribed ARTER which I assume was the rifle's original owner. As you can see in the photo it's in excellent original condition & still has a shinny bore with sharp rifling. I've always preferred Jeagers because most have superb craftsmanship & light to hunt with & usually have big bores for big game & produce excellent accuracy for competition.
IMG_2443 (6).JPG
IMG_2443 (6).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2440.JPG
    IMG_2440.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 67
Back