• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dovetail Filler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheppsan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Building a Lyman GPR and would like to permanently fill the rear sight dovetail and install a peep as it is easier on my old eyes. Brownells our of filler stock. Wondering if any Muzzleloading vendors carry or if I might use a barrel tendon, etc. Ideas welcome.

I've made them from old sights and they worked just fine. One time on a rifle that I only used a long range tang sight on, just for fun I made a filler out of a small piece of ivory....and added a small scrimshaw decoration on it. Looked good and has lasted for about 20 years so far.

Building a Lyman GPR and would like to permanently fill the rear sight dovetail and install a peep as it is easier on my old eyes. Brownells our of filler stock. Wondering if any Muzzleloading vendors carry or if I might use a barrel tendon, etc. Ideas welcome.
If your time, like mine is worth nothing you can cut a strip from a standard door hinge, shape with files and finish as needed to make a serviceable filler.

I once made one from tagua nut for my Shiloh Sharps No.1 Sporting Rifle. It's a nut that looks very close to ivory. It was easily shaped and looked great when it was polished. Google it for resources.

I had Shiloh replace that barrel when it was determined it had been crushed slightly when it was roll stamped and there was no dovetail on the replacement. I noticed the tight spot right under the rollmark when slugging the bore.

I know the nut. It is also referred to as Vegetable Ivory. I believe though, its a type of fungus that grows on a certain tree, if memory serves. Looks just like ivory.

File a sight slot shaped piece of steel. Start with a strip about 3/8 x 1/8" x 6". Put a taper on the shape. This will allow you to determine where it fits and does not. When it is fitting tight cut it off on either flat. File it close to the barrel. Peene the edges. File it flush. . Cold blue. It will be invisible if done right.

I think Lyman uses modern dovetails. They make prupose made blanks. Any real gunshop should have them.

Latest posts

Back