• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What do I have here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
Sorry I got a Eye exam this afternoon so I won't be able to do too much replying. A nephew just sold me an old black powder flask cause he needed some money. I haven't a clue what it is. I gave him $10.00 for it, I think it's a reproduction. It do
20200604_113945.jpg
es have the patina though.

The reverse is identical to the other the side, the handshake, the eagle ,crossed cannon etc. Except it has a dent right in the center. Other than the dent it appears to be in pretty good shape. Did I get taken?

Have no idea brand or model, have never owned one, kind of wanted one but for no more than I shoot I couldn't justify the cost. The smaller round plastic flask by CVA, T/C, etc. start at @ $15 and up. Congrats on a hell of a deal!

I don't know if it is an original or an Italian reproduction but it is called a Peace Flask. They were made between 1837 and 1858.

According to "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK", the originals were made by Ames flask company or Batty .
Around the clasped hands it should have "sunburst" of 13 sets of points which symbolize the 13 original colonies. Around these is either a circle or an ellipse with 26 stars. The book mentions the Union consisted of 26 states when Michigan entered it in 1837.
If the stars are in a circle like your's is, the flask would have been made by Ames. If they are in an ellipse, the flask was made by Batty.

The Peace flasks shown in the book all have valves with adjustable nozzles instead of just a simple tube for measuring the powder. That is not to say that all of them were that way but to me that valve lever and spring look very Italian so I think your flask is a reproduction.

I have one very similar to yours. It has a fixed spout and at this point I don't remember where I got it. Mine is definitely a reproduction purchased in the late 1970s or early 80s. It is a nice large flask and for years I carried it while hunting with a TC Hawken.

You did fine on the price and helped out your nephew.

The flask is a modern replica / reproduction. Most likely made in Italy.

Brass screws holding on the top are incorrect for antique flasks I've seen. Antiques used iron or steel screws.

If the thumb lever has a small circle cast into the lever top and has the letter " P " cast into it that stands for Pedersoli.

Zonie is correct about originals having a top different from your flask.

Has a collector of original flasks in the UK , what you have is a repro most likely from Italy
Feltwad

As I recall the orig. peace flasks were issued to US rifleman. Have a repro. hanging off a curtain rod here in my den with 2 other orig. metal flasks, just for pretty (I should offer them up here in for sale!). Guess I bought peace flask before they were pronounced to be bombs, unless using a thimble measure. So just continued to use my horn and a thimble measure. I bought it new at the local Civil War show for under $20, they cost much more now. Repaired an orig, once for an old collector friend, where to seam had started to come apart. He is gone now and I still do miss him.

Picked up two, one larger than other, in a gallon freezer bag of stuff at a pawn shop for 25. Used Barkeepers Friend to clean them then sprayed clear coat on them.
20200103_141740.jpg

Picked up two, one larger than other, in a gallon freezer bag of stuff at a pawn shop for 25. Used Barkeepers Friend to clean them then sprayed clear coat on them.
View attachment 33234
Looks like you got a good deal. I had a chance to buy a repro like the one one the right 10 years ago for $5.00. I should have taken the guy up on it. What was that deep dark brown that the body of this flask was made of?

You did fine on the price and helped out your nephew.

The flask is a modern replica / reproduction. Most likely made in Italy.

Brass screws holding on the top are incorrect for antique flasks I've seen. Antiques used iron or steel screws.

If the thumb lever has a small circle cast into the lever top and has the letter " P " cast into it that stands for Pedersoli.

Zonie is correct about originals having a top different from your flask.
Okay I took the three screws out of the top. They seem to be brass, a magnet won't pick them up.Does the top now screw off? Or just pull off? I don't want to get too "physical" with it. Even though it's a reproduction it's still brittle. And where exactly is that "P" located on the thumb lever? I haven't located it yet. Of all things I had an eye exam yesterday and lost my old glasses today.

You weren't kidding when you said it was a small 'P",. With the help of a magnifying glass I just found it.

Back