• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

When you have a beautiful muzzleloader....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And you use it heavily to you flip out over every ding and scratch? Or do you just chalk it up to use? Or do you consider use as an added beauty to something that will be passed on ? Curious.....
SM

Virtually all the old guns show wear, sometimes a ton of it. Some show so much wear they don’t even exist anymore.

The old timers used their guns and in use scratches and dings are bound to happen. It builds the rifles history and character and many will say a gun with some honest wear on it makes it more interesting.

The only time I’d worry about wear is if I was negligent or careless with the gun. Other than that, not really.

That's one reason I wouldn't want a "Beautiful" one. Knives too. Good looking yea but if I get one that is so beautiful that I'm afraid to shoot it for fear of it getting dings and scratches, what's the point?

Virtually all the old guns show wear, sometimes a ton of it. Some show so much wear they don’t even exist anymore.

The old timers used their guns and in use scratches and dings are bound to happen. It builds the rifles history and character and many will say a gun with some honest wear on it makes it more interesting.

The only time I’d worry about wear is if I was negligent or careless with the gun. Other than that, not really.
thanks
SM

Safe queens stay in the safe, only for looking at. That first ding hurts, but frees your soul.
Some of my most prized guns are butt ugly. I like a gun I can soot without fear.

In an odd way, that first ding, scratch or dent is a big relief.

Last edited:
If the wear and dings come from honest use, they don't bother me a bit, in fact, I cherish them. Many of the dings or scratches that are prominent may have a story attached to them.
If the wounds are from stupidity, leaning the gun where one shouldn't or against something I shouldn't, and it falls. Or some other stupid move that could have been avoided, then I get upset. Even if it is an ugly or plain gun I get bugged about damage that could have been avoided.

Nice to see so many users here like me. I shoot every fire arm I own.
Can't abide use but honest wear is eveidence of good times and good people.

Showed my 9 year old grandson how a flintlock shoots the other day. He has seen it before but this was a one on one lesson. Good memories.

Don

Spouses show dings and scratches from use as well. Have no use for a safe queens in guns or companions.

Beautiful rifles, like beautiful women, are to be appreciated and enjoyed. I would not think of leaving a beautiful lady at home while I enjoyed dinner at a fine restaurant nor would I leave a beautiful rifle at home without shooting it.

When I was about 17, I remarked to another man about a young lady passing by us. I said that she had a nice ___________.

He looked at me and said, "that's my wife that you are talking about."

All I could say was, "sir, your wife has a very nice _______. You are a very lucky man."

He smiled and said, "thank you. I will let Mrs. Jones know that you appreciate her ___________."

So if anyone ever casts a lustful eye at your beautiful rifle, consider it a complement.

Safe queens stay in the safe, only for looking at. That first ding hurts, but frees your soul.
Some of my most prized guns are butt ugly. I like a gun I can soot without fear.

In an odd way, that first ding, scratch or dent is a big relief.
I bought an 1863 Sharps rifle 45 caliber that I think of as an orphan. Got it off of Gunchoker. Had no iron sights but did have 4 pairs of sight mount holes I had to find screws for. It did come with Unertyl mounts for the Lyman 200 year anniversary scope that I enjoy using and the gun is a joy to shoot. Except for the holes it was in really nice condition. Bluing, wood, everything just really nice. I don't think I will ever sell it.
On the other hand the safe queen 54 caliber Sharps rifle is going on Gunchoker probably this weekend. Really not feeling it for the safe queen.

Nice to see so many users here like me. I shoot every fire arm I own.
Can't abide use but honest wear is eveidence of good times and good people.

Showed my 9 year old grandson how a flintlock shoots the other day. He has seen it before but this was a one on one lesson. Good memories.

Don
LOL. Because I recently got a Cimarron Whitneyville and got a 45 Kirst Converter fitted to it and don't have the heart to shoot it. Going to send it to Goons for his awesome tune up then hopefully I will shoot it. It is just so purdy.

Many of my guns are Schimmel types with no buttplate. Lots of people I know with guns like that carry a piece of carpet to load on or use their foot. I put it on the ground. Now if there’s gravel or rocks etc. I’ll put it on my foot to load but typically I’m much happier when a gun has scratches and a ding or two. Nothing worse to me than being worried about putting a scratch on a tool.

Latest posts

Back