• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

“Dark” Browning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a rifle like that I would prefer to see a lighter finish.on the metal. While the browning is well done, it is almost too well done for an iron mounted rifle. I would prefer to see some bare metal showing through on the wear spots or a patina finish. Maybe just cold blue and let it fade on its own.

"Smells to me like a rifle built by someone with above average means, above average technical skills, above average patience, but slightly less than above average historical reasearch skills. Nicely executed longrifle overall"

With that evaluation, it seems like a shame to start tinkering with someone's hard work and possibly muck it up.

"If you want that dark brown, put your cold brown on it and place it in the trunk of your car in that hot Las Vegas sun. The combination of a good cold brown and the heat of your car, the browning will be very dark.

"in the trunk of your car in that hot Las Vegas sun." That should really do wonders for the wood, seems like a great way to get numerous crack in it.

Smells to me like a rifle built by someone with above average means, above average technical skills, above average patience, but slightly less than above average historical reasearch skills. Nicely executed longrifle overall.
I kind of like that carving. Leaning very seriously towards something real close on my build. Providing I can "practice" enough not to screw it up. Although not very PC, it is "purty".

"in the trunk of your car in that hot Las Vegas sun." That should really do wonders for the wood, seems like a great way to get numerous crack in it.
Mmm... I would respectfully suggest that most folks would remove the barrel from the stock before applying any sort of finish treatment like that.

Just saying...

Notchy Bob

When I had my shop I used LMF browning. Left it in the bluing room it rusted overnight. I carded and recoated no way would I neutralize it before coating. NO WAY would I use any hot boiling water on it as that turns it black.

Unless I wanted it to be black. My son now finishes original barrels Damascus and others He boils them to make them black. On the Kind of modern ones that gives the white background to the black edges and contrast wanted.

A finish he does on double shotguns now costs fron $300- $600 dollars [barrels outside only] as it takes many hours. He could make more money with a real job.

Thanks, all!

I figured it wouldn't be smart to put the stock along with the metal in the car lol. I am now leaning towards an aged bare metal appearance instead of browning. Think it should look swell with the cherry's wood.

I imagine the builder built the rifle exactly as he wanted it. This had been done since guns have been built. Style does not matter. It his build and its what he wants.

Back