• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

for your bench top

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
If you have ever taken a gun apart and had a tiny little important, expensive, hard to get, irreplaceable piece fall out, hit the bench, bounce, and disappear into the dust bunnies on the floor never to be seen again, here is an idea.

If there is a store in your town that makes removable truck door signs on magnetic plastic sheet beg, borrow, or buy a piece of it. Put the black magnet side up in a cookie baking pan and take things apart over that. If that dratted piece falls out it hits the magnet and it sticks. Of course, this only works on steel parts, but most screws, pins, and parts under stress are steel.

It works for me it should work for you.

Yr’ Obt’ Svt’

Bunk

If there are springs involved I always do the take apart in a big zip lock bag. Usually that will catch them.
Bunk

I have always said that, regardless of what you are working on, if you drop a small part it will hit the toe of your boot and disappear into the workbench triangle.
It's proportional to the size of the part as to how far it flies.

I use a commercial magnetic parts tray. I also have a three inch round magnet taken from a bad car speaker that I put on a three foot cord. I drag it on the floor to search for dropped part. The downside is you also get all the lost nails, screws, washers and staples that have hit the floor.

In my fettling shed I have a magnetic a stick which I use to pick up anything dropped, I also have some magnetic dishes into which I put and over which which I dismantle, if I can, parts. Things often still go missing, sometimes to turn up on the next sweep after either buying something or making it. :dunno:

I have the long reach magnet and a magnetic bowl but I put an old dish towel on the bench under the part being dissambled. Parts don't bounce.

Back