• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

It finally happened froze nipple on my buffalo hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It finally happened. Bought a navy arms buffalo hunter got it in the mail Tuesday. On inspection the nipples flats were rounded. Tried Kroil heat and any grabbing tool I can find. Looks like they turned the nipple so far in it damaged the hole for the nipple to go in. Spoke with a gunsmith he may be able to get out. Gotta feeling the hole in bolster will have to be welded and new hole bored. I found another buffalo hunter and bought it

yes sir it is thank god I bought another the nipple csme out of the one I just bought and a great shiny bore got a parts gun lol

Make sure the thing isn’t loaded, then use an Easy Out to remove the nipple. I have also found that a electric drill/screwdriver with an adjustable torque setting works like an impact wrench for smaller threads. Put drill on lowest torque setting, and let it hammer away for a bit. Then increase to the next higher torque setting and repeat. Keep increasing the torque setting until thread releases. At least this method has worked for me.

Harbor Freight has a cheap set of left hand drill bits. I've had okay luck with them in other applications removing badly stuck stuff. With them you have to go slow or they will overheat and get dull. When I used them the stuck bolt came out around the bit and no easy out was needed. It was in a situation where nothing else had succeeded. With a nipple at least you have a pilot hole to guide the bit.

You may be able to use an easy out, or something similar, but it doesn't sound like they will do it. You could drill it ou, re thread to an appropriate size and get an oversized nipple. Nipples are available in a number of different diameters and thread sizes.

You may be able to use an easy out, or something similar, but it doesn't sound like they will do it. You could drill it ou, re thread to an appropriate size and get an oversized nipple. Nipples are available in a number of different diameters and thread sizes.

I worked my whole life in repair shops and removed many broken off studs. If there were some way you could shield everything but the nipple, I would be tempted to put a 2/4 or 5/16 nut over it and then arc weld it to the nut. Then watching closely as it starts to cool and the heat transfers downward, I would use a very small adjustable impact wrench on the nut. I realize this could only be done with a barrel that can be removed. My luck with easy outs was often fraught with disappointment, if the stud was broken under pressure, there was no way and Ezyout would remove it. If it was sheared off, many times a left-hand bit would remove it. Snap-on tool company has some dandy left-hand bits. I used to have a fellow who worked under me say, "it's hard to hurt a rotten egg," and I think that's what you have.
Squint

Left hand drills are the proper way to begin the process. I bought a set of cobalt left handers years ago and have used them many times now. Often the Easy out isn’t eve needed but if it is, forget about the long slender tapered versions. They’re as likely to break off in the offender as they are to remove it. Leaving you with a new hardened stud to remove... Snap on, Napa and other places can provide a much better type. Expensive as a set but they can be purchased individually as well.
C6E31FFD-CE57-43EF-8C84-BE8241281FF5.jpeg

Left hand drills are the proper way to begin the process. I bought a set of cobalt left handers years ago and have used them many times now. Often the Easy out isn’t eve needed but if it is, forget about the long slender tapered versions. They’re as likely to break off in the offender as they are to remove it. Leaving you with a new hardened stud to remove... Snap on, Napa and other places can provide a much better type. Expensive as a set but they can be purchased individually as well.
. View attachment 32900
Got a set like these from Sear's (Craftsman) and have come in very handy a few times and work great. The way they are designed they dig into the stud/bolt as you turn them with a wrench.

As an Aircraft Mechanic for the last 37 years with major airlines my current one ; I have been with for 30; I have had to remove my share of shanked in screws. A shanked in screw is were a grip length that was to long was run into a nutplate (usually by hanger guys closing up panels). This is the best small fastener removal tool I have ever used. Guys at work are always asking to borrow it. I tell them the Snap On truck shows up in Wednesday:thumb:
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Straight-Screw-Extractors/Straight-Screw-Extractor/E1If you aint got one or two of these in the common sizes that you run into then I suggest you get them. Cause when you need a stuck fastener removed you need it removed!

Until recently I always coated the threads of the nipple with Bore Butter, yep, the same stuff I use on shooting patches and coat the bore with after cleaning. Currently using Gorilla Grease that is used on the threads of breach plugs, don't remember how much it was but I believe around $5.00 for enough to last a long time. It also smells like bubble gum so its got to be good, right?

Yes sir I do the same this was a muzzleloader I bought off a gun site had she been mine originally the threads would have had anti seize on them

I've been using bore butter on the threads for years, and never have had a problem getting a nipple out.

Man, that looks bad! Good luck on getting it out...........

Curious, what does the 1968 stand for? I use 1968 in another email address i have because it was the year I graduated from high school.

Back