• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dumb question about powder horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grenadier, I like your little flask with the wooden plugs and the brass spout. I have one almost exactly like it made from a buffalo leg bone and some scraps of walnut.

I make fillers by punching a 3/8 hole through an old powder can lid. then I take an empty CF casing of suitable size, push it through the hole from the inside, and cut the bottom off; instant filler. If you can't figure this out, I can take a pic.

When I made my horn, I used a plug at the back that goes into about a half inch diameter hole and is pressure fit to seal the hole. My lanyard fits over this plug. A simple twist and it comes out, revealing a nice fill hole. Still need a funnel but can use a larger one and it's easy to fill vs trying to fill via the spout.

When I made my horn, I used a plug at the back that goes into about a half inch diameter hole and is pressure fit to seal the hole. My lanyard fits over this plug. A simple twist and it comes out, revealing a nice fill hole. Still need a funnel but can use a larger one and it's easy to fill vs trying to fill via the spout.
They do make a brass finial? for the rear of the horn that unscrews from it's brass base that is glued into the horn. It prevents accidental loss of the plug that could come out with a simple twist.

They do make a brass finial? for the rear of the horn that unscrews from it's brass base that is glued into the horn. It prevents accidental loss of the plug that could come out with a simple twist.

I put one of those on the first powder horn I made a long time ago. Within a year or two it had seized up to the point a pair of pliers could not remove it, and I had to refill it through the spout. I eventually managed to break the horn. I had to use a propane torch to get the base and screw to separate.

Powder, fouling, bad breath or something caused corrosion in the threads. I did not know of a way to stop it from corroding again, so I never installed it in another horn, and it is in a box out in the shop somewhere. I''ve used the hand funnel ever since.

Somebody posted pictures 2-3 weeks ago of a double coned wooden powder funnel he made. One end was cupped to fit over the muzzle, and one was cupped to act like a funnel. That looked cool, and I may try my hand at one of them when I get back to the lathe.

How do you fill one up through that tiny hole?

Not a dumb question. I would sometimes make a cone out of foil, but then I got a Ted Cash brand, brass funnel. The upper portion is about the size of a 50-cent coin.

TED CASH FUNNEL.JPG

LD

I put one of those on the first powder horn I made a long time ago. Within a year or two it had seized up to the point a pair of pliers could not remove it, and I had to refill it through the spout. I eventually managed to break the horn. I had to use a propane torch to get the base and screw to separate.

Powder, fouling, bad breath or something caused corrosion in the threads. I did not know of a way to stop it from corroding again, so I never installed it in another horn, and it is in a box out in the shop somewhere. I''ve used the hand funnel ever since.

Somebody posted pictures 2-3 weeks ago of a double coned wooden powder funnel he made. One end was cupped to fit over the muzzle, and one was cupped to act like a funnel. That looked cool, and I may try my hand at one of them when I get back to the lathe.
Thompson Bore butter on the threads prevents water entering the threaded area and causing corrosion. That or that white tape that plumbers use to prevent leaks wound on the lower threads that are covered.

Here is what I use, its cheep, comes with RTV, etc. tubes. When the tube is empty just clean the inside of the tip, cut to desired hole size...........

Attachments

• DSC00699.JPG
    DSC00699.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 78
Rig is great. I use it under my barrels during my once or twice a year takedowns. Never any rust. Good stuff.
Great stuff. I use it on the outside of ml barrels plus the inside of my suppository type firearms for long term storage, renewed once a year. I don't use it on ml bores very often because I tend to shoot those much more often, and a dab of oil does just fine keeping the rust away for a few weeks or so.

Back